need good, quick case/sleeve recommendations

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mobydick01, Dec 21, 2013.

1. mobydick01 macrumors member

FedEx will deliver my new 2013 13" MBA on Christmas Eve, to replace my 2012 11" MBA. (I upgraded primarily because I needed more screen real estate.)

I have a cheap clear plastic hard case (I think made by Speck) for my 11" which, frankly, is a piece of junk. It constantly slides and pops off the laptop. The vents in the bottom piece have caused some sort of weird discoloration on the computer's finish and have allowed multiple nicks and scratches to deface the aluminum finish. The best part about the Speck case was that it did not significantly alter the size or appearance of the computer, but overall it's been a huge disappointment.

So, for my new 13", I want to do things right. I need a good case or sleeve that will withstand my moderate-to-rough use. It also needs to work well with my briefcase, which is a Filson Padded computer bag, which can accommodate a 15" laptop, I think. I'm willing to spend up to $75. Thanks.

2. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

3. mobydick01 thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps... what did you have in mind?

4. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

this actually has practical benefits and increases the wight by less than any shell/case article-2257354-16C1B6A1000005DC-885_634x502.jpg

5. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

If I had a 13" - and I do have an 11" - I'd buy a Moshi Codex. It's at the upper limit of what you want to spend, but I think the brushed titanium is particularly attractive.

6. mpantone macrumors 6502

I own the brown leather 11" version of this $60 one for the 13" MacBook Air.

[​IMG]

The brown color appears to be discontinued. It is -- as the merchant claims -- genuine leather.

The fit is snug; my 11" MacBook Air is not going to fall out of this sleeve.

7. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

I like this one.

http://www.secondshells.com/tablet-...ok-air-13-case/macbook-air-13-case-black.html

Especially the price. I looks and feels like a legal pad portfolio. Goes in and out very easily and offers quite a bit of protection. It's a tad thick and while not heavy it's not svelte either. I don't really have a need for such protection. In fact, I've haven't used any type of case or cover for the last three Airs I've had and the only damage I've incurred is some dings on the edge when placing it in and out of hotel safes on the first Air. Learned my lesson. Yet I haven't removed it since I began using it a month ago. So it hasn't hindered my use. All colors look better in person than in the pics on their webpage. At least black and the two pinks.

I have had zero issues with heat and I have never needed to open the bottom flap other than raise it for use. Most times when I have opened the flap to check, the aluminum case is cool to the touch.