Need GPU advice

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jpine, Jul 18, 2014.

1. jpine macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I originally posted this over on the Mac Games section but have not received a reply. Thought maybe posting here would be better.

I'm starting a research project that will use both a 23" ACD and the Oculus Rift (OR). Half the sample (people) will use the 23" ACD and the other half will use the OR. The computer I'm using is a 2008 MP with 16GB of memory and a flashed GTX 570 with 2.5 GB of memory. I'm using Unreal Engine 4.x to create the app. Right now, the best frame rate I can get hovers between 23 and 26 fps. To my eye and given the nature of the app, I can live with that. However, the frame rate drops quite often to <20 fps. That I can't live with. iStat Pro is showing very little use of the CPUs and I have plenty of system memory in reserve and/or idle.

So, given the above info, can anyone recommend a GPU that can up my frame rate to a consistent 30 fps in a graphics intense application without breaking the bank? As with my GTX 570, I'd probably buy the card from MacVidCards.

TIA

JP

2. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

3. jpine thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Lou! I think I'll load 10.8.5 just for development of this app and see if it runs better.