Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

claydoctor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Hey everyone. I need to upgrade my graphics card for my mac pro 1,1 running snow leopard from the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT to something that will run a 47 inch vizio 1080 tv. I have health issues, and have to lay down now, and still type all day. So IO need something that will run the big screen, so I can lay on my bed or lounge chair and type and not strain to see the screen.

I have Googled this, and get a lot of geek answers. I need something that I can plug and play, not have to tweak. I am reading there are issues, and that with this config there are not that many that will work out of the box.

Really, really appreciate your suggestions. Don't have money to throw at this, so have to buy whatever will do the job. Don't do heavy video editing, just personal use, no heavy photoshop, etc. Mostly just website work and writing articles.

thanks. Claydoctor.

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
You don't need to upgrade the 7300GT to drive the TV. Physical size makes no difference. Resolution does. And since your TV is 1080p, your card is fully capable of driving it. If your TV doesn't have a DVI connector, it should have HDMI. Either get a DVI-HDMI adapter for your existing DVI cable or buy a new cable with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other. They're quite common and not that expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.