Need guidance on Java

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MiniD3, Dec 1, 2016.

1. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Hi guys,
    I have been looking at security and have read the following,
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Virus/Malware_FAQ#What_security_steps_should_I_take.3F
    In Particular the bit about going to preferences and "un-checking" Java in Safari preferences
    I did that and soon found my "auto-fill" didn't work and had trouble making post,
    Unfortunately, I ended up with a double post......oops.....sorry.......now fixed

Have I misread the bit about un checking Java?
    I'm no geek, just want to be secure and advise my daughter who is having problems with malware at the moment
    If Java should be un-checked, should it be unchecked just for surfing and turned on for forums such as this one?
    Sorry to be so esoteric

2. KALLT macrumors 601

There is really little reason to enable the Java plugin in Safari at all. Only very few websites use it for specific functionality and Macrumors is not one of them. I have not encountered such a website in years.

You should download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac and have it check your system for malware and adware.

3. MiniD3, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016

MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Thank you for your reply,
    I finally found out where I was going wrong, I was unchecking "Java-Script" in preferences, and
    Not in the plug-ins,
    When I checked the plug-ins, I did not have Java as a plug in in any case, so all good I guess

Attached Files:

4. chrfr macrumors 603

In spite of the name similarity, Javascript has nothing to do with Java. You really won't be able to use the internet without Javascript, so leave it enabled.

5. KALLT macrumors 601

That’s a common mistake. JavaScript and Java are two entirely different things. What you want to do is click on ‘Plug-in Settings’ and disable Java there. Java is something that you need to install yourself.

6. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Thank you, don't have Java as a plug-in so that is good news!

7. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

If you do need Java, which I do for work, the new security settings are pretty good. You must actively enable on a site by site basis.

MalWare can come from other methods besides Java. Don't install untrusted software, don't click links in unverified email, and beware of email that seems too good to be true.

8. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

You are unlikely to find Java malware unless you are surfing less trustworthy "one-handed" websites.
    And for those purposes, there is a famous swedish "library of everything" website which you can use with a VPN like private internet access.

9. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Thank you,
    I'm usually very careful, will pass that on to the Daughter and family
    --- Post Merged, Dec 1, 2016 ---
    Thank you,
    Will pass that on,
    ......Gary

10. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

It's usually mactracker that causes problems on mac. Just don't click on those ads. (yes, you may see them here.)

11. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3