Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Hi guys,
I have been looking at security and have read the following,
http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Virus/Malware_FAQ#What_security_steps_should_I_take.3F
In Particular the bit about going to preferences and "un-checking" Java in Safari preferences
I did that and soon found my "auto-fill" didn't work and had trouble making post,
Unfortunately, I ended up with a double post......oops.....sorry.......now fixed

Have I misread the bit about un checking Java?
I'm no geek, just want to be secure and advise my daughter who is having problems with malware at the moment
If Java should be un-checked, should it be unchecked just for surfing and turned on for forums such as this one?
Sorry to be so esoteric

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
There is really little reason to enable the Java plugin in Safari at all. Only very few websites use it for specific functionality and Macrumors is not one of them. I have not encountered such a website in years.

You should download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac and have it check your system for malware and adware.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
There is really little reason to enable the Java plugin in Safari at all. Only very few websites use it for specific functionality and Macrumors is not one of them. I have not encountered such a website in years.

You should download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac and have it check your system for malware and adware.
Thank you for your reply,
I finally found out where I was going wrong, I was unchecking "Java-Script" in preferences, and
Not in the plug-ins,
When I checked the plug-ins, I did not have Java as a plug in in any case, so all good I guess

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 10.55.40 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 10.55.40 pm.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
That’s a common mistake. JavaScript and Java are two entirely different things. What you want to do is click on ‘Plug-in Settings’ and disable Java there. Java is something that you need to install yourself.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
That’s a common mistake. JavaScript and Java are two entirely different things. What you want to do is click on ‘Plug-in Settings’ and disable Java there. Java is something that you need to install yourself.
Thank you, don't have Java as a plug-in so that is good news!

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
If you do need Java, which I do for work, the new security settings are pretty good. You must actively enable on a site by site basis.

MalWare can come from other methods besides Java. Don't install untrusted software, don't click links in unverified email, and beware of email that seems too good to be true.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi guys,
I have been looking at security and have read the following,
http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Virus/Malware_FAQ#What_security_steps_should_I_take.3F
In Particular the bit about going to preferences and "un-checking" Java in Safari preferences
I did that and soon found my "auto-fill" didn't work and had trouble making post,
Unfortunately, I ended up with a double post......oops.....sorry.......now fixed

Have I misread the bit about un checking Java?
I'm no geek, just want to be secure and advise my daughter who is having problems with malware at the moment
If Java should be un-checked, should it be unchecked just for surfing and turned on for forums such as this one?
Sorry to be so esoteric

You are unlikely to find Java malware unless you are surfing less trustworthy "one-handed" websites.
And for those purposes, there is a famous swedish "library of everything" website which you can use with a VPN like private internet access.

Reactions: MiniD3

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
If you do need Java, which I do for work, the new security settings are pretty good. You must actively enable on a site by site basis.

MalWare can come from other methods besides Java. Don't install untrusted software, don't click links in unverified email, and beware of email that seems too good to be true.
Thank you,
I'm usually very careful, will pass that on to the Daughter and family
[doublepost=1480650038][/doublepost]
You are unlikely to find Java malware unless you are surfing less trustworthy "one-handed" websites.
And for those purposes, there is a famous swedish "library of everything" website which you can use with a VPN like private internet access.
Thank you,
Will pass that on,
......Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.