Need hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Danmickread, May 28, 2013.

1. Danmickread, May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013

Danmickread macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a mid 2009 mac book pro with 160gig hard drive with mountain lion and windows installed via bootcamp.
    I would like to change the hard drive for a 500gig drive.
    Is this an easy thing to do, I have heard of cloning a drive, will this clone everything so new drive with have both osx and windows still.
    Can someone pls point me in the right direction of how to do this and also what drives do people recomend. Is there any particular makes that are better than others and what specs I should be looking out for.
    I know you get to rpm speeds and whats in there now is prop 5400 would I benefit from 7200 or would this be more noisy and use more power?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, cloning software will not clone both Windows and OS X partitions. You have to clone your OS X partition, using something like Carbon Copy Cloner, then backup the Windows partition separately.

As far as drives, I've been very pleased with both of these models in various capacities, from Other World Computing (OWC):

OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro..........................OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro™ [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Danmickread thread starter macrumors newbie

Would u care to elaborate?
    Do u mean I would have to re install windows on the new drive after cloning?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This may help