Need HD Cam and Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by RiCEADDiCTBOY, Feb 16, 2010.

1. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

I found a copy of Final Cut Pro for 625 on Amazon.com Is there anywhere else that I can find it cheaper?

Also, what about this cam? http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-M...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266385318&sr=8-1

I am working media project for an upcoming website and it will involve utilizing green screens and splicing and mixing videos. I need some decent suggestions on additional software and hardware I may want.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

will you need to be recording audio with the video? If so get good mics... nothing stinks more then great video and terrible audio (trust me)
    I don't know how "green screening" will be. In order for green screen to work you need excellent lighting. At least 3 point lighting if not more.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

If all you're doing is chopping video, and green screen work - you can use Final Cut Express ($200 New).

It handles chroma keying (Green Screen work) and is an excellent editor.

4. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

What do you guys think of the cam? And where can I find the best deal on Final Cut Studio? I know sometimes googling for the product isnt enough. I just want to make sure I get the best price possible on something that isn't exactly cheap. :rolleyes:

...thanks guys!

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

IMHO, your best bet is B&H Photo. They're selling it for $819, free shipping, and no sales tax unless you live in New York. Maybe Amazon has some used ones for sale.

I agree with above - unlikely you'll need anything more than Final Cut Express.

6. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

Where do you see the 819 for the cam? It says 899...

7. foshizzle macrumors regular

As long as you don't need a live feed via firewire that camera is perfect. I have the first generation of these cameras that canon released about 2 years ago, the HF10. The 4 or so generations since then are nothing short of fantastic. Even mine is great for green screening with Final Cut Express (given nice lighting). I don't think you'll be let down.

I'll give a second vote to B&H for camera equipment. And if you're just doing green screening, you'll just need Final Cut Express. Studio will be way overkill.

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

Never said $819 for the cam. That's for FCS.

But if Amazon charges you sales tax and/or shipping, you'll save some money at B&H for cam or the software.

9. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

I have the Canon Vixia HF21, which is one class below the one you're looking at. The video quality is great, the 'dynamic stabilization' feature is incredible. I used to need a tripod to shoot with my old camera which didnt have stablization feature, but now I find myself shooting without one all the time with similar results.
    The only thing I'm still trying to figure out is how to import video from it using Final Cut... Right now I'm using iMovie to import footage and then editing in FCP.
    I also did greenscreen work this past weekend and it works great.

I recommend this camera.

10. foshizzle macrumors regular

to import you plug in the camera, be sure the disk(s) are mounted on the computer, then open the log and transfer window in Final Cut (express or pro). It is under the file menu I believe. It is so much easier to user than imovie to final cut.

For express the keyboard shortcut is command-shift-8 to open log and transfer.