Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plaidhippo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
Hey all,
The hard drive in my 1GHz Powerbook (DVI) finally started dying and i want to replace it as cheaply and easily as possible. Can anyone suggest a good replacement hard drive for this machine? What specs do I need to look for to get a new drive? I think its a PATA drive, but what size (physical) does it need to be? I don't need a lot capacity, as it would become a spare computer. I didnt know if apple had any special requirements or anything strange on the inside, so I thought I would ask here first.

I found a site called powerbook medics which advertises a hitachi replacement drive of 60gb for about 70 dollars. Is this a reasonable price? Is there likely to be anything different about this drive than one I can get anywhere else? Is something I can pick up at circuit city or best buy going to be comprable? I have a gift certificate for 100 bucks to best buy but have NO idea what to get there! Can anyone suggest a good one from there, or if they don't have anything, somewhere else?

Looking forward to your help, you guys have helped me several times before! :)

--ashish

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.