Need HDD dock that supports sleep - my OWC Voyager disappoints

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rawdawg, Jan 25, 2010.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I recently bought a 2TB WD green drive to backup a OWC Mercury Elite Al-Pro 2TB RAID 0 I bought since it doesn't have redundancy and needs to be backed up.

I figured the most flexible and practical way to do this would be to use a drive. Happy with my Mercury Elite RAID from OWC I went and bought a Voyager S2 dock from them. I have a dual eSATA Sonnet Tempo Pro card and get very fast speeds eSATA.

I am very disappointed to see whenever my drive in the dock spins down it is no longer able to wake up. Tech support at OWC says I need to change in preferences unchecking to allow disks to spin down. But I want to be able to put disks to sleep.

The alternative is to return the dock and get a new one. Are there any recommendations for docks (or cheap enclosures even) that have sleep capability?

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I've also had problems with OWC SATA enclosures preventing drives spinning up. After dealing with their poor customer support on the issue I haven't bought anything from them since :(

3. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

That's unfortunate because I really like my Mercury Elite Al-Pro except I wish the fans went to sleep when the drives aren't in use or it's cool. It's not too loud but a pointless waste of energy when left on continuously.

Hate my NeverTech USB2.0 adapter. Too slow. And don't like this NewerTech Voyager dock either if it doesn't wake.

I want to return it. Anyone have a good replacement suggestion?

4. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

How do you like the card and what type of speeds do you typically get with eSATA? I'm thinking of getting one of those cards myself.

5. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

The card is expensive but no doubt probably the best available. I ran speed tests with my RAID 0 and get ~160-180mbps which I hear is pretty fast for a MBP. With the single drive in the dock I topped out around ~90mbps.