Need help! 13inch vs 15inch Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thejeff, Sep 16, 2012.

1. thejeff macrumors newbie

Hey there, I am a second year college student. I am probably going to be majoring in something in regards to video production and stuff like that. I enjoy video editing from time to time, although I have stopped because my current computer makes it miserable.

Mostly I am on Facebook, doing homework. I currently have a 2008 unibody Macbook, but it is on its way out. I am trying to decide between a new 13 inch Macbook Pro and a 15inch Macbook pro (antiglare).

Here are the concerns I have for each

13inch Macbook Pro (i7): Same resolution as on my current Macbook, and it seems kind of dated and fuzzy. The better resolution on the 15 inch might make reading school things on my computer more pleasant and cause less eyestrain?

15inch (base model antiglare): Size of the overall computer. I am at college, so I will most likely be carrying around my computer. Although, it depends on my classes. Will it be too heavy and take up too much space?

Any help or suggestions would be great.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have a 2008 Macbook and I've been very tempted by the closeout of October 2011 Macbook Pros available at Microcenter for $500 off the antiglare model and $600 off the regular model.

I would not want to carry around a 5+ pound computer but I take my iPad to classes and meetings so I'm not worried about carrying the MBP. If you plan to carry it to classes, I suggest you consider the 13 in model or even the MBA. A better solution would be to get the 15 in model AND an iPad to take to classes.

I'm also somewhat tempted by the newer models because they have USB3. There are USB monitors available these days. That is they are USB powered so there is no plug to hunt for and no brick to lug around. All you need is a computer with a USB port. I'm not sure if it requires USB2 or USB3 and that's why I'm tempted by the newer MBP models that include USB3.

3. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Your'e a casual user nothing too heavy , you stress portability so I would suggest the 13 and a 13 Air at that , Check out the refurbished Apple one's you can score a good one with decent specs 2010/2011

4. thejeff thread starter macrumors newbie

If I wasn't going to be video editing and was not going to be using final cut pro from time to time, I would definentely get the air.

5. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Get the 15, if you are not gonna dock with external monitor.

6. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

The 15" isn't that heavy. If you want to save money, go with the base model (anti-glare if you prefer; I'd say do high-res regardless as that extra resolution is nice). If you want more VRAM, the higher-end model is your best bet. Otherwise, don't customize anything else; Apple will gouge you on RAM and hard drives; you are better off just buying those aftermarket.

Either way, while Intel's HD 4000 is a vast improvement over previous Intel graphics, going with something with a discrete graphics chip is definitely going to last you longer.

7. thenamesbryce macrumors newbie

I bought a 15inch MBP for college and ended up only taking it to class the first semester. It was incredibly heavy especially if I was carrying books. Having said that, I love having the larger screen and have another monitor plugged into it as well. Its simply become my desktop computer, and I take my iphone or iPad to school.