Need help 2.4ghz vs 2.0

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cjenkins505, May 28, 2009.

1. cjenkins505 macrumors member

I will be getting a a Macbook and I need help deciding between the 2.4 and 2.0 ghz. I want to try to save money if possible. I will be using it mostly for school things, internet, music, some movies, Diablo 3 (only game I will ever put on it), and I may have to use bootcamp for school. I will be getting 4gb ram but would it run alright with 2.0ghz or should I just get the 2.4. Any price saving tips would be helpful as well. (I will be selling my ipod i get for free to)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

If a backlit keyboard is important to you then get the 2.4, if not then get the 2.0 and upgrade it.

4. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Unless you HAVE to have the aluminum body, get the newly-updated white Macbook. Most all the same specs for less cash, plus a (little) faster processor. Upgrade it to 4GB of RAM and you'll be set.

5. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

Also check online in the Apple store for refubs you can save money that way, go to your school store while your online and you can save even more.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you really want the backlit keyboard consider a refurbished 2.4GHz MacBook—same as new in a plain white box.

7. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I'm interested to see people's opinions on this...but I guess I beg to differ on the whole - if you can afford the extra (which seems to be your limitation, I guess) I would go for the aluminum one...IMO plastic < metal (even a soft metal like aluminum).

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If your only legitimate gripe is that one is plastic and the other is aluminum then you're just buying for aesthetics. If you're buying for aesthetics then what's good/bad is going to differ from person to person.

9. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Most definitely, and one of the factors I consider when buying a computer is aesthetics. I think the aluminum MB is much sleeker and less prone to many things that the white plastic MB is prone to, i.e., discoloration, scratching, disconnecting and misaligned pieces (especially the top piece with the keyboard disconnecting from the main body piece). I think that most all of my friends who own plastic MBs have seen their computers crack and chip, disconnect layers and just look generally worn out, which not only decreases resale value but also decreases my satisfaction with the product. Hence, I have to take aesthetics and long-term satisfaction into consideration.

10. keeva381 macrumors newbie

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's a fairly one-sided appraisal of the situation. While plastic might be prone to the issues you mention above, Aluminum has its own set of disadvantages as well. See any of the threads about small dents or grounding issues.