Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bombay

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013
Count me in as another MBA user with a dead ssd. :( mid 2012 MBA with toshiba ssd. 3 months out of warranty. I hope apple recalls these MBAs soon...

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
I have the same problem :( 2012 13" MBA. Anyone know how to check if it's a toshiba SSD?

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I have the same problem :( 2012 13" MBA. Anyone know how to check if it's a toshiba SSD?

Go to  -> About this Mac -> More Info -> System Report -> Hardware/Storage. Select a partition from your main drive and look at "Physical Drive." If it says TS128e Media it's a toshiba.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 7.55.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 7.55.04 AM.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 130

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

A search would have led you to this:

Yes! Look at System Information, under Storage - If the entry for APPLE SSD is followed by SM, then it's the Samsung, if it's followed by TS then it's the Toshiba, if it's followed by SD then it's a SanDisk.

Lou

Lou

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
A vast majority yes, but not all
I replaced my toshiba 64GB with a Samsung 128GB, original apple part found on eBay taken from a Mid 2012 13"

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
I replaced my toshiba 64GB with a Samsung 128GB, original apple part found on eBay taken from a Mid 2012 13"

Err... You know that the 2013 models use PCIe and are not compatible with the 2012 models?

Liloou

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
My mid2012 mba SSD failed too :( i got the flashing question mark folder of death. When i tried OSX Recovery it did not find Macintosh HD. Took it to the authorized reseller repair shop and it shod that it wasnt reading the SSD, he tried taking out the drive ad reconecting it but that didnt help. Im going to have to replace it :( Its $400 and im 3months out of warranty. Im really upset, i would have expected it to last more than a year and few months. Makes me think of ever getting another one if its going to fail in such a short time.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
My mid2012 mba SSD failed too :( i got the flashing question mark folder of death. When i tried OSX Recovery it did not find Macintosh HD. Took it to the authorized reseller repair shop and it shod that it wasnt reading the SSD, he tried taking out the drive ad reconecting it but that didnt help. Im going to have to replace it :( Its $400 and im 3months out of warranty. Im really upset, i would have expected it to last more than a year and few months. Makes me think of ever getting another one if its going to fail in such a short time.

Apple is quietly replacing the 128 Toshiba SSD at not charge for out of warranty customers. Please check Apple Support Communities. There is a thread on this issue.

Also if you used a cc to purchase your MBA the warranty may be extended as a perk of the cc.

Wishing you luck.

Liloou

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
Apple is quietly replacing the 128 Toshiba SSD at not charge for out of warranty customers. Please check Apple Support Communities. There is a thread on this issue.

Also if you used a cc to purchase your MBA the warranty may be extended as a perk of the cc.

Wishing you luck.

I paid in cash :/ I also called apple care last night and they couldnt help me. They said it was very rare for SSD to fail and told me my options were to take it to the genious bar or mail it to them. But that they couldnt give me an estimate of how much it would cost over the phone. No talk of no cost replacement :(

I dont know what im gonna do. I need i laptop for work, i think i might purchase a new one, not sure i will go the mac route this time.

thanks for your reply tho! :)

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Please don't give up so easy. Escalate it within Apple and point them to this forum. There are so many threads about this issue that they simply can't avoid it. One of the threads contains a Poll which should help you win this case. If (when) is happens to me I'll make such a stink they will need to evacuate the Cupertino Campus. And, there's always small claims court. With the ammunition from this forum, you would have a very strong case.

Also, did you happen to buy the MBA with a credit card that offers a warranty extension? Ah, I see you paid cash. You are indeed a rare breed. I can't recall the last time I paid cash for anything. Oh, I guess I can, my barber only takes cash.

Lou

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Liloou, please escalate your issue with Apple. Many early deaths with Toshiba 128.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Guessing one cannot opt for a Samsung SSD over a Toshiba when buying Apples Macbook Air or Pro ? Had to ask.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^If you buy it locally, not from the net, you could open it up in the store, power it one, and check it out. If it's not to your liking, tell the retailer to change it.

That wouldn't be me however:p The last piece of electronics I bought at a Brick & Mortar store was my HDTV, and that was four years ago:eek:

Lou

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
^^^^If you buy it locally, not from the net, you could open it up in the store, power it one, and check it out. If it's not to your liking, tell the retailer to change it.

That wouldn't be me however:p The last piece of electronics I bought at a Brick & Mortar store was my HDTV, and that was four years ago:eek:

Lou

Thanks. Too bad Apple won't allow us to select, or Apple should just drop Toshiba's SSD's altogether for Samsung. :(

sanurielf

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
Yes, i'm another victim of toshiba's ssd disk. It's being repaired under warranty. I hope it wont be another toshiba again,

Pazuzu

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013
Just thought I'd sign up to add another to the list. Our 2012 11" Air (128GB) just failed, three months out of warranty. Getting the flashing question mark, can't boot to Safe Mode or run Internet Recovery. Tried the various hardware resets.

Trunks87

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Another one to add

2012 13" 128GB MBA here 4-5 months out of warranty. It froze up, I held power to turn it off and later on when turning back on it showed a blinking/flashing question mark on a grey folder in middle of white screen.

According to Internet Recovery Disk Utility my SSD is now at 1.39GB total capacity. SMC and PRAM reset without change in issue. Going to contact apple to inquire what my options are, it's likely I'll need to wait to afford an OWC brand if the rep I contact won't acknowledge it as a manufacturer defect. Even though if it is a manufacturer defect they're just on the hook for 1 year presumably. At any rate they get to hear from another customer about an issue to confirm its happening to more than one person.

Just glad I had a 3 day old time machine backup otherwise my work would've been hooped!

No longer an apple quality believer, the price tag made me believe their components were higher quality and I wouldn't need to spend big again after this... which of course is incorrect according to one recent article, they're just machines like anything else and can fail like anything else. Spending on an OWC drive will be exorbitant just like the device itself was, there is no perceived cost-savings in my case by electing a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.