Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liontamer67

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
East Coast
Hey gang! I sent back the Buffalo NAS and now I have 212+ Synology.
Okay waiting on my new DS212+:) to arrive as the one I have right now (got on Tuesday) had a fan failure. :mad:It was cheaper for me to send old one back thru Amazon than to wait for a new fan from Synology.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of a place for me to pretty much be brain dead :shock: (braindead because I had a Buffalo and it wasn't working with my mac after working on it for 16 hours, then a fan failure from synology) and walk myself through on how to set this up.:confused:
My 212+ also has new 2-WD 2 TB Caviar Green WD20EARX Harddrives
(not sure if I need to do something separate on them first or not)
The cd that comes with 212+ is not 10.7 ready.
I am also going to hook this up to my Cyberpower 1350AVR and not sure how to make sure this works with it. Right now I don't have the Cyberpower to power off or anything. :D
Thanks!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
You'll want to go HERE and download the latest Assistant and DSM. The Assistant is the Mac program that allows you to initially install your NAS' DSM firmware.

RIS

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
UK
On the DSM the web interface lets you perform the basic setup and enable the numerous features you might need.

For example you will probably want to enable the iTunes support, the time machine support, the DNLA perhaps if you want to stream to your PS3, etc

The menus are pretty user friendly if you understand the terminology.

You should be able to get the basics up and working in a few minutes and you can then literally spend hours getting all of the added functionality like mail servers etc (I didn't bother with that)

I gave mine a fixed IP address and in finder you can connect the server and the contents of the NAS are visible in finder just like a USB stick!

The new CLOUD feature looks nice but its in Beta without an OS X Client at the moment.

Last edited:

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
One caveat....you should look to make sure those drives are on the Synology compatibility list. Some NAS boxes have issues with "green" drives due to their wanting to spin down to save power (thus the "green") when the NAS isn't expecting it.

In the Synology forums lots of folks are having issues with the WD Greens and are switching to WD Blacks.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
One caveat....you should look to make sure those drives are on the Synology compatibility list. Some NAS boxes have issues with "green" drives due to their wanting to spin down to save power (thus the "green") when the NAS isn't expecting it.

In the Synology forums lots of folks are having issues with the WD Greens and are switching to WD Blacks.

Those WD black drives look reallllly nice!

liontamer67

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
East Coast
On the DSM the web interface lets you perform the basic setup and enable the numerous features you might need.

For example you will probably want to enable the iTunes support, the time machine support, the DNLA perhaps if you want to stream to your PS3, etc

The menus are pretty user friendly if you understand the terminology.

You should be able to get the basics up and working in a few minutes and you can then literally spend hours getting all of the added functionality like mail servers etc (I didn't bother with that)

I gave mine a fixed IP address and in finder you can connect the server and the contents of the NAS are visible in finder just like a USB stick!

The new CLOUD feature looks nice but its in Beta without an OS X Client at the moment.

Thank you RIS...how do you make your own IP address? That sounds great. My co-worker aka spouse got it finished the rest of the way. Together we make one brain I think...I was thinking to far out...He set up as users and then set the file up...geez someone smack me upside the head! :rolleyes:

----------

ahhh are you serious? cr@p. I hope these work as I can't take any more weeks trying to get this setup. This is what happens when you are a former builder of microsoft computers and you have 2 brothers that work for computer companies..you think you have knowledge by osmosis ;)...thanks for responding!

RIS

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
UK
Thank you RIS...how do you make your own IP address? That sounds great. My co-worker aka spouse got it finished the rest of the way. Together we make one brain I think...I was thinking to far out...He set up as users and then set the file up...geez someone smack me upside the head! :rolleyes:

----------

In the control panel, under System thn network you select a manual IP address rather than DHCP, this makes it a little bit easier to connect to the NAS as you know it's fixed IP address, for example you might pick 192.168.1.99 but this depends on your network settings, apologies if this seems complicated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.