Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monoxera

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
:mad:Hi guys. Last night I was using my computer all fine. However this morning I turn it up, the white light where you push to open the lid, is on without flashing, and there is a black screen.

Please note that I have not installed any new hardware devices i.e. hard drive, ram, etc.

I tried to push the power button for like 10 seconds straight when I turned on to see if that would fix the problem but no. I can hear the hard drive starting up when I push the power button but black screen.

Could this perhaps be one of those faulty 8800 M GT nvidia gfx?

But I'm scared to take it to Apple because earlier this year, I took it apart and redid the thermal pasting and I kind of have screw drive marks on my keyboard aluminum part... It's like so obvious I opened it before. But, my 1 year coverage is already over so hope that doesn't eliminate me from getting that nvidia service in the case that it is the gfx card hardware problem?

Thanks

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Try to connect it to an external monitor. If nothing comes up then strong chance it is the GPU failing and you'll have to take it in and hope you get lucky if it's obvious that you did open the computer like you said.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
If no image shows up on an external monitor, then it's the graphics card. (If something does show up on the external monitor, then it's your screen.) If it turns out to be the graphics card, and if you're concerned about Apple noticing that you've changed some things internally, you may want to consider going to an authorized reseller instead of an Apple Store. Often times they're a bit more lenient.

malachiman

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
New Zealand
:mad:Hi guys. Last night I was using my computer all fine. However this morning I turn it up, the white light where you push to open the lid, is on without flashing, and there is a black screen.

Yep, that happened to my macbook pro several week ago, my mac is 2 years old as well and Apple fixed it, I never had any signs on symptoms for the bad 8600M, it just died!

Seriously its a common fault and unless it looks like you have caused damage to the logic board I don't see Apple saying no.

What they did for mine, is they ran a test which returns a code they use to be able to order the new logic board through apple, they didn't even open it up until they changed it over. (this wasn't at an Apple Store, because we don't have any in New Zealand)

monoxera

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
Thank you for replying.

SO what are my options?

Take it to an autorized Apple reseller (there is no apple store here in korea I think...)

or call apple and send it to them?

But the thing is, I do not want to pay $2000 for it to get fixed. I wonder if it's covered by that nvidia thing for 3 years warranty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.