Need help accessing Mac App Store

Discussion in 'iMac' started by VelvetElegance, Mar 1, 2014.

1. VelvetElegance macrumors regular

My HD crashed tonight. There was nothing I could do except reformat my drive from my Snow Leopard. Since then, I have been trying to get my machine back to the state it was in when I last used it two days ago. I am encountering road block after road block mostly about conflicts with my version. I am currently using 10.6.8. After my install, I noticed that I no longer have FaceTime or iLife, but mostly, I just care about iPhoto. I thought I would just buy an updated copy from the App Store but it seems I can't even access the app store. I should be able to though since I am on 10.6.8, right. I had no problem before.

Then I read something on CNET that lead me to a link to download the app store but when I try to install the update, I get a message saying I have to be on 10.6.6 or higher. I am beyond frustrated at this point. Can anyone help me out?

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Even though you are already on 10.6.8, try downloading and applying this update.

I've heard that applying it can repair such MAS problems.

As far as iPhoto is concerned, so long as you have your iPhoto Library backed up and intact, you should have no problems accessing it again once the version is back where it was when your HD crashed.

Good luck!

3. VelvetElegance, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014

VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

I downloaded and installed the update and my access seems to be restored.. Thank you. Perhaps you can answer an additional question: I am reading conflicting information about what happens when you download the latest version of iPhoto. I was using the version from iLife 06. If I upgrade to this newer version after I complete my restore, will it conflict with anything since I am *still* using Snow Leopard? A lot of the reviews on the App Store are unfavorable in this relm.

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'm glad to hear the OS X update worked for you.

A newer version of iPhoto should have no problems importing and updating a library of an older version. What it can't do is open/access the library of a version newer than itself.

That said, there is one way to completely insure no problems and that is to backup the iPhoto library before attempting to open it with the newly purchased iPhoto. If anything goes wrong, you restore the backup and start again.

Especially with irreplaceable data like photos, backup is key.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You must use your iLife disk as the Mac App Store on Snow Leopard and Lion does not support "Download Last Compatible Version". Sadly, this means that disks are the only way. If your Mac shipped with iLife 08 or later, then Apple will ship you disks to accommodate you as you were sold the Mac under the terms you got iLife. If they refused to give you the software you paid for by disabling it for you then they would have some issues to deal with some disgruntled Mac users!

6. The Economist Suspended

The Economist

If by "latest verion" you mean iPhoto 9.5.1, then you can't use that version on Snow Leopard because if I remember correctly it's onl compatible with Mavericks.

7. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

So unless I can find my old iLife disks, I'm screwed, huh? That's basically what you are saying..

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'm trying to understand your problem. You fixed the Mac App Store and I assume now that the iPhoto '09 that shipped with Snow Leopard is working on your system again, correct?

As The Economist mentions, the latest version of iPhoto which is on the Mac App Store (9.5.1) requires Mavericks and will not install on any previous versions of OS X.

I don't know what Mac you're using, but if it supports Mavericks you could always upgrade to that (it's free) and then you'd be able to get the latest version of iPhoto from the MAS with no issues.

9. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I installed the update and now have access to the App Store. My new problem is the version of iPhoto available in the App Store isn't compatible with 10.6.8.

10. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Thought I should correct this - Snow Leopard does not include any version of iPhoto (nor does any version of OS X). Has to be installed either through installing some version of iLife, or a separate download through the App Store - which, as suggested, won't offer a version of iPhoto that will install on OS X without MavX.

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Thanks for the correction. Well, absent finding the iLife install discs that leaves two options as I see it:

1) Upgrade your Snow Leopard to Mavericks if your Mac is supported and thus have the ability to purchase the latest MAS version of iPhoto. If the Mac in question is the 17" in your signature, this won't be an option because the most recent 17" iMac was the mid-2006 and Mavericks requires Mid-2007 iMacs or later.

-or-

2) Get the iLife install discs from some other source than Apple, such as eBay or Amazon.

12. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, I have the early '17 iMac so I know I can't upgrade to Mavericks. Looks like ebay may be my best bet. Thanks for your help!