Need help activating tmobile SIM card

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jacksonc, May 12, 2014.

1. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

I took my iPad in to the Apple genius today to get it fixed, because it showed "no service" in the status bar. She told me that I need to activate my SIM card because I just got a new one. The problem is, I can't activate it because it says to activate it, I need to disable wifi, and it says no service. Does anyone know how to fix this?

2. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

Did you try a network reset? Go to settings>general>reset>reset network settings.

3. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It could also be because the SIM card has expired. I have three SIM cards sitting here new in the package and all of them say they must be activated by March of 2015.

4. ktjensen, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014

ktjensen macrumors member

Need help activating tmobile SIM card

Did not know SIM cards expire. No wonder we get sales on them. Will need to check that. Thought I could just collect some SIMM cards and use them upon demand when I want to get a better bargain. Guess that's not true.

And supposedly the apple store will give you a free SIM card for any carrier you want. Am sure up to a point.

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Just to back up my post that they do expire if not activated by a certain date:

Attached Files:

6. Jacksonc thread starter macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

No, the SIM card didn't expire yet. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem, but I have to get the SIM card activated first, and I can't activate it without connecting to 4G. Do you think that is the reason it just says "no service" in the status bar?

7. ktjensen macrumors member

8. JackieInCo macrumors 601

If the SIM card is expired, it will say no service at the top where the signal bars should be.