Need help add and delete admin account in terminal app

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lost-one, Sep 25, 2010.

1. lost-one macrumors newbie

I need some help to walk through adding an admin account and then deleting it after a software install on my kid's mac. I can get into single user mode, but I need some explicit instructions to add an admin account (for the purposes of installing a keylogger) then deleting the account without affecting his computer. thanks for sending me a message if you can help me with some of the commands to do this. There are a lot of instructions on the commands, but I don't want to mess it up. thanks.

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

If you have physical access to the computer then you can do this without ever going through the terminal. Or are you asking how to hack into your kids computer because you don't know the password?

Cheers

3. lost-one thread starter macrumors newbie

I have physical access, but I don't have his password. Also, I don't want to mess up or change his password. I just want to get the key logger installed, so I need admin access and hopefully can delete the account after.

4. LPZ macrumors 65816

Why don't you simply ask your son for the password? When he asks why you need it, you can tell him that you want to install key-logging software to monitor his activities.

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

This.

I'm guessing the purpose of installing it is so that you make sure your child is being good online, if you inform them you want to install it beforehand then it's likely that, were they doing anything bad, they wouldn't continue it in the future.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you don't trust your kid why are you letting him use a computer without supervision in the first place?

7. lost-one thread starter macrumors newbie

8. LPZ macrumors 65816

Folks are helping you; you just don't realize it.