Need help adding originals from iphoto library to Aperture

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diogones, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Diogones macrumors regular

Diogones

Hey all,

I have a Macbook Pro 2010 17" i7 that I use for Aperture projects. Previously, my setup worked like this: I was running Snow Leopard, with both Aperture and iPhoto installed. I had all of my photo masters/originals in my iPhoto library, and I referenced them to my Aperture library.

I recently upgraded to a dual SSD+HDD setup and performed a clean install with Mavericks. What I would like to do now - since I don't use iPhoto anymore and I use Aperture exclusively for my photo projects - is to move, not copy, my iPhoto masters into either my current Aperture library, or a new one, if that's necessary. As a test run, I had already consolidated most of my photos before I did the upgrade, but it created many duplicates in my Aperture library: the master copy, and the referenced copy.

Once I get everything moved to Aperture, I will simply delete the iPhoto library, since I won't use it, and all the originals will now reside in the Aperture library. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas on how to do this, I'd love to hear them!

2. mailbuoy macrumors member

mailbuoy

managing Aperture originals

I recommend that you visit http://photo.rwboyer.com and consider purchasing his ebook, Aperture 3 File Management. It is not expensive and in the first few pages there is great discussion on importing files and letting Aperture implement your preferences on file locations, sub-folders, file naming, automatic project creation, etc. I just started reading this myself and I am glad I did before investing much time in my photo organization. This import capability will also let you move vice copy and remove duplicates if desired.