Need Help/Advice on buying an Apple notebook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mra1989, Jun 13, 2010.

1. mra1989 macrumors member

Ok let me start off by saying that I've yet to have an apple computer. I have had an iPhone ever since the release of the 3G. I love apple products thus far and I'm looking to purchase a laptop before I transfer to a 4 year university next year. I have a toshiba laptop now that my parents bought me when I graduated high school in 2007. Don't get me wrong the laptop was a nice gesture and it fulfilled it's purpose, but the notebook isn't in the least bit portable. Here's what I am looking for in a prospective notebook:

PORTABILITY
    decent memory
    reliable functioning
    don't need 3D graphics, but at the same time I want something that's easy on the eyes
    It's primarily going to be for note taking, iTunes, and general research via internet.
    Not a gamer.

At first glance, I love the air. I've tinkered with it on several trips to the apple store, so I'm biased. What would your suggestions be for me given the information I've listed. Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Air is great and the most portable but it lacks too many things, e.g. only 2GB RAM, only 5-hour battery life, only one USB etc, not forgetting the amazing trackpad MacBook and MBPs have.

I would either wait till MBA update or just jump for 13" MBP, it's VERY portable

3. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

+1

Seems pretty obvious.

I will say though..I had the air for about 1 week (RevA was getting too hot for me). I dearly miss the keyboard, trackpad and how low it sat to the desk. It was sooo comfortable to use compared to my macbook pro.

4. mra1989 thread starter macrumors member

While I understand about all of the things the air lacks, I'm not in much need of too many of those extras. With that being said is there any word thus far concerning what the next update/version of the air will have?

5. Vylen macrumors 65816

Nope, we don't even know when or even if there will be an updated any time soon... That's how Apple rolls.

That aside, while you're in not much need of too many "extras" you're better off getting that little bit more than what you need rather than what's "just right" cause needs change over time.

For a couple thousand dollar investment, you want something that's a little "future proof" in terms of a potentially evolving need.

Also, having a couple extra USB ports is far from an "extra" - it's really a standard. The Macbook Air is rather crippled in terms of features for a premium (given its age now) just for something that's needlessly thin really.

6. mra1989 thread starter macrumors member

Good advice thus far. Anyone own a pro and an air that has a good compare and contrast on the two. I'm honestly not interested in the basic MacBook. Just a preference.

7. toffa813 macrumors regular

Sounds like the 13" is the best fit. However, if you can afford it I'd say get the 15" for the extra screen real estate, dedicated graphics card, and the i5. The C2D processor will be far outdated by the time your done with it, but the i5 won't be cutting edge either. I just got the i7 15" for college next year, and kinda wish I got the i5 since I don't do any heavy work to make room in the budget for the hi-res screen. But so far it seems plenty portable, but obviously not quite as much as a 13".

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would say the base 13" MBP, it is a good bit cheaper than the air, and you get a lot more: Double battery life, double memory, double HDD capacity, much better trackpad, faster processor, better graphics, internal superdrive, extra usb port, firewire 800, and an ethernet port, all for about a pound or pound and a half more weight. While you may not use all of that, much of it is very nice to have, especially the battery, which I think makes it even more portable than the air. I have the aluminum MacBook before they made it the pro, and it is basically the same computer. It is very nice to carry around, and is about the size and weight as a standard textbook.

9. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK