Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kzly

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2023
Hello everyone!

I am currently looking at four different configs as shown below.

M1s have been proven for the past 12 months or more, whereas M2s have upgraded Wifi, Bluetooth, HDMI, all of which I don't absolutely need. In terms of chip performance, I am not a heavy/video/graphics user so will probably not notice a huge performance difference. But I prefer 32GB RAM for my web/ios dev workflow, and I am debating about 64GB (I don't need those extra GPU cores and upgrading to max chip just to get 64GB RAM doesn't sound appealing to me...but.. the more RAM the better...).

I plan to use this machine for at least 2 years (when M3 comes out, I will do my best to resist, but will be tempted when M4orM5/OLED shows up). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you all :)

ChipCPU/GPURAMSSD (TB)Price
M1 Max10/246413,156
M1 Pro10/163212,720
M2 Max12/306413,439
m2 Pro12/193212,894

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I'd assume those prices are in US dollars? Just another thing that could be a factor...

Anyway, I think RAM is possibly one of the most important factors in buying a new machine. You should really try to future-proof yourself as much as possible. I think (just a personal opinion), that you wouldn't benefit much from the M2 Pro/Max—save yourself some money and just get either an M1 Pro or M1 Max.

If you're concerned about RAM, just get the M1 Max. You could also try to cut down on that price by searching on the user/refurbished market. I'd encourage you to do that if possible. To me, you never know what'll happen in the future. If you wanted to just get 32, go for it, I'm not forcing you to get 64, but I'd suggest it if it's feasible to do.

Does this help?

Reactions: kzly

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Just get the most expensive one for future-proofing, your future self will thank you. :cool:

Additionally, the price difference between the two 64 GB configurations you've shown is pretty minor, considering how expensive those two machines already are. :p

kzly

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2023
You haven't told us what you use your Mac for...
Oh I mentioned web/ios development + plan to use for at least 2 years. For web, 16/32gb ram should suffice, but I run multiple simulators for ios which 32gb ram can handle but just want to be future proof.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2023
Oh I mentioned web/ios development + plan to use for at least 2 years. For web, 16/32gb ram should suffice, but I run multiple simulators for ios which 32gb ram can handle but just want to be future proof.

If you are using heavier dev apps, or simulators or VM's then better to error on the side of too much RAM.

16GB of RAM was a lot 8 years ago, but is nothing now. So, 32GB of RAM is average at best for power users.

But you know better than we do.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
But I prefer 32GB RAM for my web/ios dev workflow, and I am debating about 64GB
How did you decide you need 32 GB of RAM? Are you thinking about how much RAM you needed on your older Intel-based computer? If so, those numbers don't transfer over to Apple Silicon. The M1/M2 can use much less RAM than you used to need on the Intel systems.

For development, 16 GB will work fine. Unless you are running virtual machines. Perhaps you are running a Linux VM and/or a bunch of Docker containers? Then you need enough RAM to run all the containers in addition to what you need to run MacOS (16GB is enough) I'd only go over 16GM if you are running multiple operating system instances.

Why? The Apple Silicon RAM is dramatically faster than any RAM you could have had on your Intel based computer. And also the new "unified RAM" in the M1/M2 is much more efficient.

Actualy, the $600 base model Mac Mini is a good upgrade from any Intel Mac. Unless you are running mutiple servers instances in containers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.