Need Help/Advice With Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Supreme, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Supreme macrumors newbie

I currently have my iMac connected to the AirPort Extreme via Ethernet. I also have my PS3 and Xbox 360 connected via wi-fi and occasionally my iPhone 4 and my girlfriends iPhone 4.

Network 1 has all my devices and Network 2 is the "guest" network which is for my girlfriend and anyone else that might be visiting.

My question is: is there a difference or advantage to separate the networks by N/G or does it not matter. For example should I make a Network N for my N devices and a Network G for my G devices? I just want to make sure I'm getting the most (speed) out of my network. Any help would be appreciated.

2. dgr macrumors member

What is your purpose of a guest network? The AE has a feature built in to setup a guest network with a separate guest password that allows them on the internet and to talk to others on the guest network but not talk to your own internal network.

3. Supreme thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't aware of that feature, thanks for the info.

I've been doing some research and found that it might be good to seperate the bands (2.4Ghz/5Ghz). Any advice or info on that?

4. Supreme thread starter macrumors newbie

Xbox 360 S: 802.11 b/g/n
    PS3: 802.11 b/g
    iPhone 4: 802.11 b/g/n (2.4 Ghz only)

After a bit more research I was thinking of having a 5 Ghz n network for the Xbox and a separate 2.4 Ghz g (n?) network for the PS3 and iPhone 4. Does that sound right for the fastest speeds?

5. dustinsc macrumors regular

I guess I don't know for sure on Airport Extreme, but I know that with my router, the entire network will only operate at the speed of the slowest connection. That is, if there is a single G device connected, all will work at G speeds.