Need help/advice with purchasing a used computer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Malsi, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Malsi macrumors regular

Hi Everyone!

I have decided to buy a PC over a Mac due to money constraints. Anyhow, I found a used PC on craigslist, and it features the following;

HAF 922 case 3 120mm fans, 1 220, 1 140
    EVGA x56 3sli mobo
    intel i7 930 processor
    xfi 5850 radeon videocard
    6 gig ocz ram 1600mhz
    xfi fataily sound card
    samsung cd rom
    megahelm cpu cooler
    500 gig 32mb western digital black harddrive
    cyborg keyboard
    mx500 mouse
    senhieser 280 pro headphones
    very slim lg 23" monitor W2340VG

If you were going to make this purchase, what would you do to ensure that this machine is well worth the money ($800). How do I check what type of CPU and graphics card it contains? I have little familiarity with windows. I haven't had a computer for the last three and a half years, and have don't all my Internet browsing through my iPhone. Therefore any advice would be welcome!

Thanks for your help. Oh, and the reason I have this posted here and not a PC site is because I like this community, and visit macrumors forums more than any other. I hope it's ok to ask this here. If not, mods, please delete this thread.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Personal opinion, I wouldn't buy a used computer for $800; you can get a new one for that.

3. Malsi thread starter macrumors regular

That's a problem, I don't know how to build a computer. And I know if I try to, it'll either break or blow up in my face. I don't know anyone to build one for me, and what this guy is offering blows everything best buy and microcenter has in my area out of the water! It's just so hard! /sigh.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You don't have to build your own, you know - and there's much more out there than Best Buy or Micro Center. Check online, check out Maximum PC for some places which will customize a rig for you, etc.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It'll slow down inexplicably in 6 months, like all PCs.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I think you'd do better to tell us what you are going to use it for and then get some feedback for your options. $800 is a pretty good budget and buying used carries a lot of risk.

7. Malsi thread starter macrumors regular

All I'm really looking to do is use Photoshop, rip DvDs, and play WoW/blizz games. Nothing too intensive. I just want it to last a couple of years. I know not to download from questionable sites, and don't torrent/limewire. So I should be safe one the virus front. Thanks for any other advice you may have.

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I would then lean towards buying something new. With the coupons that are always available, you can get a good computer from Dell with that budget. Check out their refurb section for even better deals.

9. Malsi thread starter macrumors regular

What about a used macpro? Being used, does it have the same vulnerabilities as a used PC? I found a used 2008 mac pro with dual quad cores that should be plenty of horse power for years to come. Would the graphics card be upgradeable to a more recent card? If so what's my upgrade options? And if I were to see it in person, when turning it on, does holding down the "d" button still take me to the hardware diagnostics thing to show me if there is anything wrong?

Thanks again for your help!

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I have to ask, why the strong aversion to buying a new machine?

11. Malsi thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it's not really an aversion. I'm just trying to be frugal and not waste money. I've had problems holding on to money in the past, and now I'm trying to stop that. Buying second hand is a good option. I don't know, I guess I could hold off a couple more months and work harder to save up and get a mac. That's probably the best option. Anyways thanks for your comments, I may have made a purchase that would have left me miserable!

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That's true for things like cars, houses, etc. Generally it's a bad idea for a computer.

Consultant has given you another good piece of advice - refurbished computers are new, essentially, and generally discounted.