Need Help & Advice !!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iWinnipegger, Jan 31, 2008.

1. iWinnipegger macrumors regular

ok, i really need help,

i want to erase everything on my macbook's hard drive EXCEPT the operating system, problem is, i can't just reinstall the os because my superdrive doesn't work, and i dont have the install discs..

what i'm asking is, is there anyway to do this maybe through an app or something?

thanks for the help, if you have any questions just post them...

thx!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

do you have another mac and a firewire 400 cord or an external firewire hard drive formatted to HFS+?

3. iWinnipegger thread starter macrumors regular

nope

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well im out of ideas! i think Mac OS X can only be installed on a mac with a dead super drive using another mac or an external hard drive. take it to an Apple store to get the super drive fixed if your still in warranty.

also its a bit weird that you lost your install discs. you should really hang on to 'em as theyre useful for troubleshooting and diagnostics.

5. iWinnipegger thread starter macrumors regular

but i dont really wanna reinstall os x, i just wanna an app maybe that can delete all the files except for the system ones...

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i dont think there is an app that deletes all your files and settings but keep the system files.

an erase and install using the install discs essentially does the same thing except that it erases the whole hard drive first.

im assuming that youve backed up your files and that is why you want to delete everything except the system files.