NEED HELP - Aiptek Action HD Editing with iMovie HD(06) 1080p

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Jnathan373, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Jnathan373 macrumors newbie

Alright well I own an Aiptek Action HD 1080p camcorder with a bower fish eye lens. I absolutely love the camera for its price and quality. But I have a problem. When I upload to iMovie it kinda shrinks the clip and stretches it. I am very experienced with iMovie and I tried using all of the video formats when you first create a new project.

Here is an example:

This is what my clip looks like directly uploaded to vimeo. No editing. http://vimeo.com/3101753
    Now this looks very nice. No letterboxing or anything.

Now here is a video I edited using iMovie 06.
    http://vimeo.com/2877497
    it looks a lot worse...

Can someone pleaseee help me find the setting that allows it to upload my clip into iMovie without any changing of quality/dimensions. I am working on a much longer video and I really would like it to look like the first clip i posted.

Thanks!~~~josh.

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I don't know for sure, since I have iMovie '09 and not '06 and don't have that camera, but might it have something to do with the Aiptek using rectangular pixels and not square? Maybe it doesn't know what to do with the 1.33:1 ratio and just makes it a square, hence the off look. A newer version of iMovie might work?

3. xStep macrumors 68000

I downloaded your QuickTime file and tried it in iMHD. I see the problem but couldn't figure out how to fix it, initially. I tried converting the file using ffmpegX but didn't get far.

I was able to import it into iMovie 09 and export properly. So that works.

Just before sending this message, I thought, perhaps QuickTime Pro could convert it. It worked! I exported as a H.264 file at 1920x1080 HD size. iMHD imported at the right aspect ratio. I edited the clip and exported with success.

The upgrade to QuickTime Pro is about $29 from Apple.

4. Jnathan373 thread starter macrumors newbie

o that is great to hear!!! i might consider this. did it change the quality at all? or was it still good quality?

and i posted this in another thread but... is imovie09 free? because i have 08 i think on my macbook. but i really dislike it mainly because of no slow-mo effects and the lack of a legit timeline.

and does the imovie 09 have slowmo?

thanks again!

EDIT: nevermind i see you answered those questions already ^_^
    okay so if i got imovie 09 would i still need quicktime pro?

5. xStep macrumors 68000

As I said, that video imported and exported properly from iMovie 09. I don't think my install if QT Pro would have an affect on that and not iMHD. I have Perian and Flip 4 Mac loaded too, but I don't think that had an affect either. As you can see, there are many things to consider.

Just load the video into iM09 and see what happens. When you create the project, choose the 16:9 format. You should then be good to go.

6. Jnathan373 thread starter macrumors newbie

alright well its just that i do not have imovie 09. lol. but i am looking into it now

7. xStep macrumors 68000

If you have iMovie 08 it might also work.

8. Jnathan373 thread starter macrumors newbie

o really... ill make sure to try that. i just neeeeed slow motion for the videos i make tho ://. is there any way i can do that on imovie 08?

9. xStep macrumors 68000

I don't believe iM08 has slow-mo. But as long as you can export your video from it successfully, you could import a section into iMHD for that effect.

10. Jnathan373 thread starter macrumors newbie

alright i am going to try that. curious to see how this all works out

11. Mit59 macrumors newbie

Another possibility...

I had this problem too... search for my handle and you should find postings about it.

If our problems are the same, it's an old problem. iDVD gets confused about anamorphic video. Grab the free "anamorphicizer" application and run your movie through that before iDVD. Fixed my file right up instantly.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Here is anamorphicizer:
    http://homepage.mac.com/sith33/FileSharing34.html

Read more here:
    http://linkoramablog.blogspot.com/2007/03/anamorphicizer.html

12. Mit59 macrumors newbie

Slow Motion

If memory serves JES DeInterlacer is a free utility that among it's many wonderful features can do pretty good slow motion effects. And it's free.

(Does no-one use Google anymore? :)

Tim

http://www.xs4all.nl/~jeschot/home.html

13. Jnathan373 thread starter macrumors newbie

well actualy im not worried about iDVD its iMovie and the problem is it inputs and exports the video weird. it looks stretched and doesnt recognize the right dimensions. i guess thats the best way to describe it

14. Jnathan373 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for the bump but can someone realllyy help me on how to use this program?

or how to have a program that creates slow motion. thanks!

15. subfreq macrumors newbie

Problem solved without needing QuickTime Pro

I have the same camera and used the QuickTime Player version 10.0 (90.3.1) that came on my Macbook to trim the video and save it using 1080 HD format. The videos now look the way they should in IDVD projects.

Make sure to use save as to save your video with a different name so as not to change the original.

Tried Anamorphicizer first but it did not work. Give me an error.