need help! aluminum macbook ebay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by snowboarder943, Dec 21, 2008.

1. snowboarder943 macrumors regular

There's an auction for a new in box Aluminum Macbook base model. so far it's at 800.00 bidding. Only an hour left. If it doesn't go up much after that should I bid on it?:confused: Or is it too good to be true? no reserve Here's the description the person gives: " Hi eBayers. I have a new in box MacBook to sell. The quick specs are: 13" Macbook Intel Core 2 Duo at 2Ghz 2GB DDR3 RAM 160GB HD NVIDIA GeForce 9400m graphics card Airport Extreme All the goodies in the box No AppleCare Doubtful you will be able to receive this item in time for Christmas. . .we have a storm coming to my area. This is a brand new unit, never opened or used. Please email me questions before bidding and I will do my best to answer. Thanks." Thanks:)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Don't pay using anything but PayPal. Don't bid above your PayPal protection.

3. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for such a quick reply!! I hope it doesn't go up!! Wish me luck :D haha

4. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

Why do you only suggest using paypal? sorry for double posting.

5. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Paypal gives you some protection. Money Orders do not give you any protection.

6. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Just because it's at $800 right now doesn't make it a scam. The seller could have just started the auction with a low starting bid. eBay is unpredictable. The auction could end a few hundred dollars higher than it is right now.

7. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Exactly.
    I start auctions at 99 cents. Usually bids start coming in instantly. However, if none come, I can just wait. The last 10 minutes of an auction is amazing. No offense, but can I assume you didn't get the MacBook duecto other people outbiddig you?

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

The dying minutes of an item are when the bids really start kicking in.

A lot of people will be watching an item, then bid in the last second just above the current bid in order to seal the deal.

But no reserve bid for something that is worth $1,300 makes me think it could be off the back of a lorry.

9. sapota macrumors member

Thats the problem with ebay. Do you know if you will be getting warranty? Dont save a few bucks & land urself in more trouble. You get new aluminum unibody macbooks for $1150 on some online stores with new warranty etc...thats $150 cheaper than apple store minus tax....spend a few extra dollars...and have some peace of mind.

P.S The macbooks are totally worth $1150...I agree with Apple executives...even though macs cost more than Dell or HP laptops they are totally worth it....Sony laptops are ok....but they cost the same as Apple & run Windows....