need help and suggestions on building my new home network

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CultHero, Nov 12, 2013.

1. CultHero macrumors 6502

I am moving from a 2005 iMac to a late 2013 rMBP. Looking for suggestions on my network configuration and how to maximize storage and backup.

Currently I have a 2tb drive hung off my iMac for time machine duties. I used this drive to replicate my rMBP when I bought it.

I also have a drobo with 8tb that houses all my digital video and my iTunes library for about 1tb of data. This isn't backed up due to NAS nature of the Drobo but the Drobo is only USB 2.0.

I am planning on a separate (hopefully TB display) for the rMBP from which I will be hanging the 2tb drive.

Question is: I plan on a 3 tb Time Capsule to handle routing and time machine duties for the rMBP, iTunes, and digital video (2tb total to start), but I want to hang the Drobo off the TBD to access the backed up files and various media that I store on it.

I understand that the the Time Machine will backup the drive attached to the TBD along with the rMPB as one pool of data, but is there any way to diffentiate the Drobo from that pool? By nature of the Drobo I don't need to back it up and don't have the capcity to. It would be great to leave it connected to the TBD for when the rMBP is connected, but have the time capsule understand that its contents aren't part of the necessary data to backup.

Thanks, haven't been able to find a work around for this issue besides just unplugging the Drobo when running the time machine.

/cheers

2. Voca macrumors member

Voca

Plug the Drobo directly into the Time machine and use it as an external network drive. You still have access from your rMBP as well as your iMac and it wont be backed up by your TM.