Need help asap

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by beetindown, Oct 31, 2011.

1. beetindown macrumors newbie

I have A G4 and a G3 for sale on a local auction site as both have blown internal power supplies my problem is that i still have heaps of photos and things on the computer i was unable to get off. Is there a way to get all my stuff off them without having them fixed or am i out of luck.
    Please lend some advice as auction closes in a couple of days.
    Thanks heaps

2. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

So you want to wipe the hard drive and the computer doesn't turn on? NO PROBLEM! There are two things that you can do.

1. Take the hard drive out and put a big neodymium magnet on the top and bottom of it.

2. Take the hard drive out and put it in a different computer

I would personally do both

3. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

If you have a computer store nearby, or sometimes even something like a Best Buy, you can get a blank USB enclosure or a USB cable that connect directly to the drive. With this, you could plug it into another computer and copy files over. Then, as mentioned above, zap the drives with a big magnet. :)

4. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Whatever you do, do not do it in that order!

Put the drive in another computer (make sure it's a Mac so it can read the disk) and then copy your data off.

You can then use disk utility to wipe it, or as above, go for the magnet route.

5. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

I thought you can't use disk target (Or whatever it's called, you know, the firewire thing) if the original computer can't boot?

6. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem