Need Help Asap!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bman3221, May 7, 2008.

1. Bman3221 macrumors member

today I got the Mac leopard for my iBook g4. I originally had 10.3.9 and needed to upgrade to run some programs for school (in finals week and a graphic design major). Leopard installed well and asked to restart. When I restarted my laptop, it took me to the white loading screen then to the blue screen but freezes everytime...any suggestions?? Need help quick because I have very important school stuff that I have saved on there that I need to work on that is due Monday. I don't have the restore disks.

Here's some info on my iBook g4:
    -1064 MHz
    -512 MB
    -40 GB hard drive
    -combo hard drive

Right now I am using my iTouch

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good Advice! My brother just went through the same situation with his iBook/G4, in Hawaii, and he did the (B) process and is totally satisfied with Leo! :cool:

3. krye macrumors 68000

krye

iTouch? Is that new? Or do you mean iPod Touch?

4. Bman3221 thread starter macrumors member

I don't understand what it asks on process B. Could u help me?all my laptop does is take me through the white loading screen and freezes at the blue screen

5. Bman3221 thread starter macrumors member

yes, iPod itouch

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You need your computer's original startup disks (or your upgrade disks if you have upgraded to Leopard). Restart the computer holding the "C" key down to boot from the system DVD. Then follow the installation instructions. When you get to the options screen, make sure you choose "archive and install." See this guide:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

7. Bman3221 thread starter macrumors member

I only have the disk for the leopard and not the original restore disks because I got my iBook on Ebay. I can't restart my computer, only turn on, because it freezes at the blue screen. So at what point do I hold the "c" key down ?

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The leopard disks will work. Hold it down as soon as you turn it on, until you have a successful boot.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Holding down C on start up force our Mac to boot from the Optical drive. That's all.

10. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Note to self. Never do a critical upgrade during crunch time unless it's absolutely necessary for the task/project.

11. Bman3221 thread starter macrumors member

k, I got it to the installer menu. What do I do now???

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Wow, I just realized you have only a 40 GB HD. That's hardly any room, and I suspect it's the root of a lot of your problems. I'm not sure an archive and install is going to work with such a small amount of space.

13. Bman3221 thread starter macrumors member

Is there anyway I can just reset everything or something??

14. Bman3221 thread starter macrumors member

thanks, this one really helped..i can use it now...except i had to reset the whoole thing and start out new..the bad thing is that i have 24 GB space available in a 40 GB hard drive...is there anyway i can find out whats taking up more space? cuz i think Leopard is only supposed to take 12 GB so it should leave at least 28 GB

15. TechGirl macrumors newbie

A quick word of advice:

you might want to consider putting more RAM into your computer (It's really easy to do yourself on G4's). I burnt out my hard drive by running Tiger on it, not leaving enough space free on the HD and halving too little RAM. Luckily it was still under AppleCare when it happened. I imagine Leopard is even more demanding than Tiger. Are you getting the little pinwheel constantly? That's a sign that there is too little space left (and everything is now super fragmented and hard to find) and/or too little RAM.

Ever since I maxed out my RAM my G4 runs much more smoothly.

16. Bman3221 thread starter macrumors member

its kinda alittle slower, so i might get more RAM, the max is 1.25 i think. But i practically erased my whole hard drive, so it wont burn out for now...lol. Thanks for the advice