Need Help Asap

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jesusfreak55, Sep 20, 2008.

1. jesusfreak55 macrumors member

Ok so I am worried I really screwed something up and I need some help to fix it, a little while ago I downloaded an app called TransparentDock (btw I am using tiger version 10.4.11) and I guess this app isn't designed to be used with me version of tiger so before I realized this I changed some prefs in the app to edit my dock and now I have a completely transparent dock and no matter what I try and do I can't get it back. I tried using appzapper to get the app and all of its files gone from my system and that didn't work and I trashed all of the com.apple.dock.plist files finding them under spotlight but no luck. Someone please help me fix this! I hate screwing with cheep freeware apps and Im not downloading any more of them.

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Are the apps still there? Is automatic hide turned on? Did you restart? Did you repair permissions? You could use terminal but shouldn't have to.

Relax.

3. jesusfreak55 thread starter macrumors member

well it added some of the apps i have that i didn't have in my dock before back on like system prefs imovie and quicktime and it also added an imove hd icon which was a question mark. no its turned off. i just restarted and repaired permissions again

4. jesusfreak55 thread starter macrumors member

it also added back ichat address book and the mac os x spring next to the trash

5. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

So it's just the 'shelf' that's transparent. Unfortunately I only know how to make the apps on the Dock transparent and opaque using Terminal, not the Dock itself. I can do transparent Linux panels but that doesn't help here.

You'll have to replace the iMovie icon with one out of the Applications folder; the one with the question mark won't work. Drag it off the Dock.

Anybody else got any ideas?

6. jesusfreak55 thread starter macrumors member

ok im gonna post a screen shot so u can see what it looks like

Attached Files:

7. jesusfreak55 thread starter macrumors member

every time i restart the apps that i removed prior to restarting are put back, like i removed the question mark dashboard and i just restarted and it put them back plus i scaled the size of the dock down quite a bit and it puts it back to this size every time

8. jesusfreak55 thread starter macrumors member

^ didn't work :( thanks though. this is y im worried about it, i really don't want to have to reinstall os x just to fix this

9. jesusfreak55 thread starter macrumors member

would it be possible if someone could email me the Dock.app if they you are using tiger? i might try replacing it with someone's who works

10. jesusfreak55 thread starter macrumors member

i have the feeling im gonna need to make sure i have a backup of everything on my hard drive and reinstall osx

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Can you try restarting the dock or was that already mentioned? I remember a terminal command for it, but I can't find it anymore.

12. jesusfreak55 thread starter macrumors member

ya i've tried killall Dock in terminal quite a few times :(

13. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Killall Dock

14. jesusfreak55 thread starter macrumors member

i found a copy of the Dock.app on my Tiger install disk and so i extracted it but the problem is that i can't drag it into the coreservices folder to replace my current one because it says that the Dock.app is running and i have no way of quitting the dock long enough to replace it

15. jesusfreak55 thread starter macrumors member

I FIXED IT!!!!!!! :D thanks to this thread. phew wow i am tierd and going to bed now, i spent all night trying to fix it. thanks 4 the help guys