Need help backing up Adobe software in case of hardrive failure (Macbook Pro)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BazTech, Nov 22, 2012.

1. BazTech macrumors newbie

For about a month or so, my Macbook Pro 13in (early 2011) had a usb port that stopped working. I tried trouble shooting, resetting the PRAM, etc, but nothing seemed to work, so I took it into the apple store. I have apple care.

It turns out that it's a problem with the logic board and the whole thing needs to be replaced, so they had to ship my computer away to get it fixed (I didn't even know there was a problem, it worked near perfectly, besides the dead usb port). I did manage to back my computer up, but I'm still worried about my hard drive.

If the logic board is going bad (as they diagnosed) then it isn't so far-fetched to think that the fragile hard drive may follow. As mentioned, I backed up my data on an external harddrive, but I have Adobe Programs such as InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. My question is, if they do replace the hard drive, will I simply be able to re install the adobe programs back onto my computer? Adobe seems very strict about their program usage per computer and I fear that a new hard drive would infer a different computer. Would I have to go through the hastle of having the deactivate and reactivate my liscense as if I'm moving from one computer to another? If so, how would that work considering it would be the SAME computer?

As a final question, about how long does apple take to replace parts such as the logic board? I wasn't told when I'd get my computer back or how long it'd take. I've seen mixed answers ranging from within two days to several weeks, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Thanks in advance for your replies and Happy Thanksgiving.

2. BazTech thread starter macrumors newbie

3. AndroidBlows macrumors member

4. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I'd just reinstall them from the discs and if activation fails (which I doubt), I'd call Adobe and explain the situation.

5. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

if it was only the hard drive you would be fine... upgraded my 2011 MBP with a ssd, booted from external hdd (TimeMachine Backup) and restored everything, including the Adobe Creative Suite no problem... a very few apps needed new activation (none Adobe)

with a new logic board you have a new mbp (new serial no) and need a new activation I guess