Need help - Best Quicktime parameters for Streaming

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mac Composer, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Mac Composer macrumors member

I've created an iMovie that I've extorted as a Quicktime file. I put it on my website, but it takes way too long to load to watch. The file currently is 38MB. I'm afraid my clients will just get frustrated waiting for it to load and click out of it.

What parameters would be the best to use to when exporting the iMovie. If I upload it as a Youtube, do tube files load quicker than Quicktime files?

Thanks,
    MC

2. boch82 macrumors 6502

How did you export it? (size, codec, etc) How long is the video? 38mb is not that big of a file.

You can use youtube, vimeo or another online service and embed the video. That will load quicker but it less professional.

Our company website still uses flash (although we are rebuilding in HTML5) FLV/F4V files are much smaller but you need to know some coding and get a swf player embedded on your site. But remember flash will not play on all devices.

3. Mac Composer thread starter macrumors member

In iMovie I exported to Quicktime using:

Size - 720 x 480
    H264
    Medium Quality
    24 fps
    Data rate set to automatic
    Frame Recording is checked
    Encoding set to Best Quality
    Internet streaming set to Fast Start

Regarding Youtube, I've been advised to bring my .mov file into MPEGStreamclip, then upload to Youtube.
    I see two versions of Streamclip, the beta version is the one that states it works with Youtube. Are there any known issues with this beta version? Is it okay to use?

Thanks,
    MC

4. boch82 macrumors 6502

Either one should work fine....dont know why you would need to bring it in there though. I would just re-export the file at the highest quality h.264 and upload that.

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

What's the subject matter... talking heads or lots of action & motion?

If you decide to keep it as a mov file I'd recommend these settings:
    ( not knowing your subject matter doing this from memory so forgive me )

Change the video size to 640x480, 24fps, H.264 multiple pass encoding,
    set the frames between key frames to 192, and set your video rate to 1200Kbytes. Set the audio to AAC mono VBR ( or CBR if you prefer ) 64kbit

Compress that and play it back... if the file is too large ( and it might be ) then drop the video rate to say... 900Kbytes and then see how that is... if it's too heavily compressed, try something in the middle... you'll need to experiment.

Make sure you set the file for Quickstart with compressed header and optimize for streaming. You'll end up with a slightly larger file, but it will allow the file to play before it's finished downloading.

You could just go the youtube route though. I'd still convert to 640x480 though as youtube is terrible with 720x480 videos.