Need help!! blinking icons on desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MAGICMAN320, Feb 7, 2009.

1. MAGICMAN320 macrumors member

Ive tried rebooting and dumping com.apple.finder.plist (didnt empty trash)
    Im running 10.4.11 on my powerman g5
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

The finder keeps resetting every 10 seconds. Ive tried rebooting and dumping com.apple.finder.plist (didnt empty trash)
    Im running 10.4.11 on my powerman g5
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Have you tried to boot into safe mode? If you are able to, you can look at the system logs.

3. MAGICMAN320 thread starter macrumors member

lol I wouldnt know what im looking for.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If this began right after you installed the update to QuickTime 7.6 (which I am guessing it does as this bug only affects 10.4.11 users like you mentioned you are running) it may be what is known as finder restarting.

It has most commonly been reported as happening ever 60-90 seconds inbetween finder restarts, and is most commonly happening if you have a preference pane in the bottom section of your System Preferences called Stuffit AVR. If you have that pref pane, open it and tell it to "Stop" and the refreshing will also stop.

If I am missing my guess on this, do a forum search for "finder restarting" and you will see more threads about the problem, but if my description matches your situation give it a try first as that is the solution in most of the other threads. Good luck.

BTW- I found on one system that a preference pane called "Yep Folders" also caused the same type of problem except the period between refreshes was much shorter- more like 5-10 seconds. If you have that preference pane, you need to start in safe mode, then remove it from your login items list in the "Accounts" preference pane.

5. msevild macrumors regular

Assuming you noticed the issue after the newest quicktime update available, you are having conflicting software issues on your machine. There are previous threads on this issue, but a majority of the times there is a system preference called stuffit AVR installed on your system. Easiest fix for this case is to either uninstall that preference or turn it off. If you don't have this installed, the first place I'd suggest looking is your computer's console crash logs for the Finder application.