Need help building a PC that will run OSX

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crazylegsmurphy, Nov 28, 2008.

1. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

Hey All,

I'm a web developer and up until now I have been using a desktop PC and MAC to develop webpages and graphic design. I am going to be traveling soon (and working while I travel) I would like to get a laptop that will allow me to continue to test on both MAC and PC.

I was wondering if you guys could help me build a PC that will run OSX as well as possible so I can dual boot to either Windows or OSX.

Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

You don't say what your budget is, but have you considered just getting a previous gen Macbook and installing Windows on it?

4. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

You don't help people buy Apple products?

My budget is really anything reasonable that will run OSX. I was going to get a new Macbook, but I don't like the glossy screen, and I don't really want to get an older machine.

5. econoline06 macrumors 6502

econoline06

You said "build a PC" that can run OS X, that violates Apples EULA. Just get a low end MacBook and put Parallels on it with XP. If you don't want to get one and don't like older machines you are SOL. "Hackintosh" computers are not only shoddy, but as I said before they violate Apple's EULA.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We don't help with Hackintoshes. Get a Mac and run Windows, not the other way around.

7. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Are you sure? He's not asking you to provide him a link to a hacked copy of Leopard; I think he's just asking for tips on any laptops that are known to play well. I don't think there's any harm in that.

OP, I don't know much about hackintoshes, but there's a wealth of information over at http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page. I'd start there.

8. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

9. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

You're correct. I fully intent to buy another copy of OSX to run on the lappy, but I need to get some hardware that will actually run it.

I am well aware that I can get a Mac and run Parallels, but it's not the route that I would like to go for personal reasons.

I understand that some of you have personal reasons why you don't want to help me and that is fine, but I appreciate anyone who understands the situation and would like to offer up any advice.

I'll check out that site as well, thanks buddyguyman.

10. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Well I don't know about building a laptop, but I've dabbled with the OSx86 project with my HP and I wouldn't recommend it for a business. It requires a lot of fiddling which you probably are capable of, but also, some things just will never work since there aren't drivers for them in OS X. If you really need a rock solid machine for your business then a Hackintosh is not the way to go. I'd suggest just getting a real Mac with Windows on it since it will work without a doubt. The previous gen Macbooks are fine as they really aren't that old, and while I do realize it is personal preference, the glossy screens on the new Macbooks don't seem particularly bad. If you are really set on a Hackintosh, I'd suggest looking on InsanelyMac.com as they will be much more likely to help you, since it is generally against the rules to talk about Hackintoshes on MR.

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The insanely mac forums is where you want to go, they have a far larger knowledge base on that, and it isn't frowned upon either.

12. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks I'll check that out as well.

I realize it might take some tweaking and that's cool. You have a valid point as well with some things never working right. That's why I would like to build a machine that comes as close as possible to running both well.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you want to build a laptop??? goodluck with that.

i hope you mean buy a laptop then install osx. thats no problem. but before you do ANYTHING. read, read and read more about which hardware works. the drivers are very picky and there is a very large chance that some things may not work, e.g. sound, proper native resolution on GPU, wireless cards etcetc.

14. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

General rule is to get a computer with the most similar parts that are used in a Mac. That'll at least guarantee that you have drivers for those parts, and it'll be compatible.

I'd still recommend getting a new Mac, and probably try looking for a used Intel Mac if on a budget. I guarantee it'll last longer, than even a cheap PC laptop that you buy today. I'd check out Mac Of All Trades for decent deals on used Macs. You can grab a 1st gen Macbook for $649. I have one I bought when it first came out, and it's still running strong and very fast.

BTW, I'm a web developer as well. I run Leopard, and run VMware Fusion with Windows XP, and it's the BEST development machine I've ever worked with.

15. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If you're a web developer then you want a real computer running a real copy of OSX, XP and Vista. As others have suggested, that would be a used or refurbished Macbook with Boot Camp. If you're a hobbyist, then play as you please. Best wishes.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im well aware of the fact that there are more common hardware configurations, that is why i told the OP to do research :)

that is a good recommendation, there is no better mac then a mac itself! virtual software is getting better and better these days, apple has even given us bootcamp just incase if we need it to run at full speed on our computers.

17. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

Yeah, I suggest you check out insanelymac and the osx86 wiki for laptop configurations that work well. I've got a Gateway tablet that runs OSX nicely. The only problem is the wireless mini pci-e card doesn't work in OSX. The problem is solved with a $50 Apple compatible wireless card which can be found on ebay. Have fun!

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

except its not against the rules if you read them. heck we even have multiple hackintosh threads:rolleyes:

19. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya, when I say "build" I mean order one with specific hardware in mind for this purpose.

That's exactly what I was asking for help with here. You guys are experts with Apple Computers here so you would know better than I would. I've grown up with PC's so I can put one together without a problem there.

My current MAC is just an old G3 that my old job gave me because they were upgrading and it runs slower than a 600 pound man in a pool of syrup.

My main concern is mostly for testing.

Of course, that's what I was looking for advice on.

I'm REALLY hoping to not have to buy a MAC for this reason as my personal experience with MAC products are that they aren't really for me. I know that many of you may scoff at that, but the only reason I want to run OSX is because I obviously need to know how what I am designing will run on both PC and Apple platforms.

That is why I want to go with a PC that will run OSX and not the other way around. I develop in Windows almost 100% so that will be what I will be running almost all of the time. I also have the latest development software for Windows and don't want to have to have to re-buy them all for a MAC.

The ONLY way I might be persuaded into getting a MAC is if I can get one that A. Doesn't have the glossy screen as the new macbooks do, and I can run Windows as my main operating system without having to load OSX.

20. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice!

Ya, I'm on that forum now reading through some posts to get a better idea. It's cool to know that it's possible. In your case, wireless wouldn't even really be a concern for me as all my testing would be through virtual servers on the PC.

21. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry for the triple post...but I wanted to state that I am trying to do this legally as I can't afford to be pirating any software and make enough money that I don't need too.

So I hope it's actually legal to install the OSX software on a PC...I can't see why it wouldn't be, I mean if I could install it on my Tandy 1000 in the basement then I should be able to no?

22. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Apple licenses OSX for use only on hardware made by Apple.

As far as "legal", this is not a criminal but a civil matter. You're entering into a contract, and breaking it intentionally.

23. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

But the Macbooks have Intel Chips, Video Cards, and other hardware that isn't made by Apple.

Hmmm... See this is the issue that I was afraid of. I don't really want to be roped into buying a MAC.

This does throw a wrench in my plan and if it turns out that this is downright illegal than I'll simply forgo getting OSX and settle for Windows based Safari and have to go the long way around of asking my Apple using developer friends to double check on things if I'm unsure.

Does anyone know if it's downright illegal, or is it simply like on the iPhone where if you jailbreak it they won't sue you, but they also won't support you (AKA Warranty is gone).

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its not illegal per say but is against the eula though. apple wont go after individuals doing so but does after corporations aka psystar

25. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Cause Apple is making money from its hardware not software. Ever wondered why there is no multiple versions of Leopard? Or why Leopard is priced around Vista HomePremium while considering the features it gives it should be priced at Ultimate?

Another thing, its not legal, as soon as you install OSX on a PC you breach the EULA but hey, no one seem to care and I personally dont care about home made hackintosh as long as its not commercialize. Besides, Apple knew about the OSX86 community and don't seem to care about it cause its more like a hobby thing, but sadly "thanks" to Psycrap that might change in the future.