Need Help Burning DVD!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cgurr1, Sep 19, 2008.

1. cgurr1 macrumors member

Ok, so I've been having trouble burning DVD's. I don't like using iDVD because it takes wayyyy to long!!. So then I started using VisualHub. That was going great but then I noticed something. I looked at the file size of one of my converted .avi to .vob file, and it was about 1gb. When I burned the DVD i put like 7 episodes on there, and there's only 4.97gb worth of space of the DVD. I tried playing it and it cuts off half way through the DVD, so I'm thinking that they all didn't fit. But I can't find a way for it to show how much will fit one one DVD.

So now I'm using Toast 9. It works but it takes forever to encode. I've heard about people talking about to use Handbrake and other apps to convert the files to mpeg-2. But everytime I go to rip the dvd it has to encode them again! I know a program has to author the dvd but I didn't think that it would have to encode all the file over again.

Keep in mind that all these file are downloaded from the internet, so I can't use Mactheripper or anything like that where im just copying a dvd over to another one. I've searched all over google and I really can't find anything exactly like what I'm trying to figure out. So any help would be much appreciated!!! Thanks!!

2. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

in my experience with this you just gotta suck it up and leave it. i once made a film that was 2 hours long and i had to leave a computer in collage on for 24 hours just to get it to render and burn. It sucks but there you go. Hopefully some one on here will prove me wrong and help us both out!

3. cgurr1 thread starter macrumors member

Actually if somebody could just tell me if there's a way to see how big the files are going to be on Visual Hub after converting them that would be perfect! I love visual hub but I don't see anywhere where it tells you how much disk space the new converted file is going to take up. Thanks!

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I just open VisualHub, click the DVD tab, check "Author as DVD" and "Burn When Done". Then I drag my video files in, insert a blank DVD in the SuperDrive, and click start. Unless you screw with the Advanced settings menu, all you have to do is wait a while and then you'll have a watchable DVD. I've personally done eleven hours on a single-layer disc, and Techspansion claims up to eighteen hours can fit on a disc. The image should be around 4.7GB or 8.5GB depending on single- or dual-layer. VH doesn't calculate what the size of the image will be until it starts encoding, but if you have two hours or more of high quality videos, it should fill the disc.

5. cgurr1 thread starter macrumors member

Don't get me wrong I love Visual Hub, its way faster than Toast in my experiences with both. But when I was trying to burn a season of Entourage on a DVD I don't think all the files were able to fit on the dvd, bc half way through it says there was an error burning the disc. Wouldn't it not allow it to burn if it was too long like Toast? Thats the only thing that I like better about Toast than VisualHub.

6. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

VisualHub may have encountered an error trying to decode the files. This can happen especially with .avi files. I would check the VH logs and support forums. That's the only advice I have to offer, unfortunately. I really only make DVDs for friends who don't have an iPod or Xbox360 to play movies and TV shows from my iTunes library. VisualHub is the only Mac application I have used for that, and ConvertXtoDVD on Windows.

7. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

I used ffmpegX to take an AVI video and convert it to a regular DVD playable on a regular DVD player. The 700 MB video translated into a 2.9GB folder containing a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder that is required for DVDs. If you burn these two folders to a DVD, you can play it on a DVD player.

8. cgurr1 thread starter macrumors member

Ok nevermind I found a solution! Thank you for helping everybody!

9. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

But...

Hey.. just "to be nice" here WHAT IS "THE SOLUTION"..??? I have been following and this (Ok nevermind..) seems like a Bad Ending to the Story...

:rolleyes: