Need help buying 2015 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aodesigns, Mar 29, 2015.

  1. aodesigns macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2015
    #1
    Hey guys,

    I currently have a late 2012 rMBP with 256GB SSD.

    I am in desperate need of an upgrade and can't decide on what size SSD to get.

    My usage will be full Adobe Creative Cloud package, primarily PS, AI, FL, LR.

    I'm a web & graphics designer and will opting for the 13" i7 - 16GB RAM, I am currently a student and will be receiving the student discount.

    Price-wise I can get the top spec 13" rMPB 2015 with 256GB SSD for £1431 (including three years Apple Care)

    However, for an extra £104 I can get the top spec 512GB SSD. (also including Apple Care)

    I want my machine to be as 'future proof' as possible, what would you reccomend?

    Thanks in advance ! :)
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    Are you running short on space now with your 256GB SSD? If not, then stick with the 256SSD.

    What's wrong with 2012 rMBP and will the current gen 13" rMBP improve things, I say this since the 2012 rMBP has a dGPU and the 13" rMBP does not.
     
  3. Yanman macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2015
    #3
    I was wrestling with my storage decision for weeks until I settled with 256. I didn't want to pay another $300 for storage that I may not use especially with cloud storage options and the sd card slot. I opted for the 128 transcend jetdrive that sits flush with the computer. Not ssd performance but good enough for files and read access. $75 from amazon. Good to have that flexibility too.
     
  4. ZBoater macrumors G3

    ZBoater

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny Florida
    #4
    Id recommend you get as much laptop as you can afford then.
     
  5. aodesigns thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2015
    #5
    My current 13" rMBP isn't handling the heavy usage as much as it used to. I should also have noted I will be connecting it to a 4K display, which the Intel HD 4000 doesn't handle, I don't think?

    current storage capacity is around 60% full, though I expect ALOT more usage out of my machine as of now, also I have my media (music, HD films etc) on a separate drive.

    ----------

    That's what I was thinking, especially for peace of mind. Though an extra £100 may not seem like much, as a student it goes along way! decisions, decisions!
     
  6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2011
    Location:
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    #6
    I got a 13" i7/16/512. No regrets. I like not having to worry about running out of space.
     
  7. aodesigns thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2015
    #7
    This doesn't sound like a bad idea, my only issue is I current use an external for media storage, and well.. it's kind of becoming a chore.
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    My bad, I thought you had a 15" rMBP and not the 13" My mistake.

    The newer model should be better at driving the 4k monitor, and better handling the CS apps you use.
     
  9. aodesigns thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2015
    #9
    I should have stated that in my OP, my bad! yeah 13" is ideal as I need portability as well.

    Im leaning towards the 512 option, but before I make a decision, would the 512 SDD affect the resale value?

    My current spec rMBP averages £800-£850 on eBayUK. Which I think is a fair price considering the models since then. I have no experience on reselling as this was my first Mac. Sorry if that seems a silly question!
     
  10. jiacsovve macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2015
    #10
    The newer model should be better at driving the 4k monitor, and better handling the CS apps you use.[​IMG]
     
  11. Yanman macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2015
    #11
    Sounds like 512 is the way to go for you. The SSD is already 2x fast based on the early reviews. Future proof and to not worry about space.
     
  12. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #12
    Get the 512 model. For the price difference, why not? Having to use an external drive defeats part of the purpose.

    It will help with resale, though perhaps not by as much as one would think.
     
  13. aodesigns thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2015
    #13
    Thanks for all the responses, decided to opt for the 512GB.

    Makes sense !

    Appreciate it

    /closed :)
     

Share This Page