Need help buying a 23-24" S-IPS Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gazfocus, Feb 2, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I've been looking around for a couple of weeks now for an 23" Apple Cinema Display to replace my HP 22" (1600x1050) because I felt the resolution was quite low for that size of monitor (compared to the ACD which is 1920 x 1200).

However, I haven't managed to find a decent second hand one for a reasonable price, so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a 3rd party S-IPS display that would be worth looking at.

It HAS to be S-IPS (I'm not a pro but having used low quality displays, I feel they're not good enough for my needs), and it has to be either 23" or 24" with the same resolution (or higher) as the ACD.

Thanks in advance.
    p.s. I'm in the UK (don't know if some US models aren't available here).

2. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

There is a new NEC 24" S-IPS out. If you look around these threads you'll find the model #.

It is a few hundred bucks more expensive than the ACD 23.

3. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

The HP L2335 23" uses an S-IPS LG.Philips LCD.

We use the HP LP2465 24" here at work. We like them as they are very bright and have nice color, but I believe they use a TN-type LCD and it doesn't rank as high as the S-IPS displays in comparison tests.

4. mrfaize macrumors member

As mentioned in another thread:

Have you seen the latest new comer to the UK market Hazro ? IIRC they do a 23" and 24" with S-IPS for less than the 23" ACD and a 26" and 30". Fairly basic connectivity though.

http://www.hazro.co.uk/

5. scamateur macrumors member

According to Anandtech, there are NO other S-IPS displays in this size range available in the US. For what that's worth.

6. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

A bit unsure about the HP monitors because I wasn't impressed with the one I had. Although, it was a TN panel. I wouldn't buy a TN panel again so will have a look at the L2335. Thanks

7. bumfudley macrumors newbie

I was under the impression that the LP2465 has a S-PVA panel rather that a TN. How are the viewing angles on that display for you? Particularly vertical.