Need help buying a DSLR.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EV0LUTION, Nov 15, 2008.

1. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

I'm going to buy a new camera soon, coming from a point and shoot piece of crap I have no idea what to buy. With there being about 5 billion different models out there. I would like some opinions on what you guys are using, what you think is the best model, etc.

I have a $550 budget. All help is greatly appreciated.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says..perhaps you ought to have posted this in the Digital Photography sub-forum here (and can have the mods move it there rather than starting another thread!).

I think you'll get several responses suggesting the Nikon DX-40 - you can find deals on that model with a basic lens for $50-$500 these days which gives you a bit of breathing room for any accessary you might want (SD card, bag etc).

It's great camera - my g/f uses one with the few lenses she has and gets great results. There is decent compatibility with Nikon and other lenses on the market when you are ready to add to your arsenal, and being a popular model there is a wide range of support both with software and help in various places....oh yeah!

3. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

sorry forgot about that sub-forum.

thanks for the advise

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

In that price range you can probably find a Canon Rebel XTi with a good lens. The people in the Digital Photography forum will be of great help.

5. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

6. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I think a Canon XTi will fit the bill quite well and you can get a fairly nice lens too. You might be able to push an XSi, but see if you really need it.