Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRichards1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
I'm utterly new to the Mac platform in any form, whether it be hardware or software. So, I'm hoping for help and advice on which direction I should go.

I'm working with a startup company and I was asked to build an equipment proposal for computers. That's fine and great, but a couple people in the group are not only avid Mac fans, but tat is the platform they learned to work and play on. Going for the official machines on the mac store, it's pretty expensive as opposed to the machines I've already planned and started building my proposal for.

Would it be wise to just order a few copies of OSX that were designed for the intel/AMD platform, or just purchase macs outright? Maybe go for previous generation machines (where would I find those???)

Any advice would be great, I just can't seem to find the information I'm looking for.

(Once upon a time when Mac OSX was released for the intel platform, I downloaded a torrent and found that installing it on my old AMD dual core Athlon system went without a hitch and the machine last time I turned it on was working just fine still...so if it is this easy I may have found my answer)

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
Downloading and using illegal software for use in a company is a terrible idea and should not be considered.

If you're just trying to learn about the Mac yourself, that's one thing. Why don't you ask your Mac coworkers for help with the proposal?

We can give you hardware and software suggestions if that's what you're looking for.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Downloading and using illegal software for use in a company is a terrible idea and should not be considered.

If you're just trying to learn about the Mac yourself, that's one thing. Why don't you ask your Mac coworkers for help with the proposal?

We can give you hardware and software suggestions if that's what you're looking for.

See, I assumed the OP wasn't planning on torrenting, rather building a Mac. That's still violating the EULA which is no different really. You violate the EULA you are in trouble, end of story. And one really does not want to do that when you are a company starting up. Now if Psystar wins (laugh, laugh) the court case with Apple, precedent might switch - but Apple's legal team is a tad bit larger.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Would it be wise to just order a few copies of OSX that were designed for the intel/AMD platform, or just purchase macs outright? Maybe go for previous generation machines (where would I find those???) Any advice would be great, I just can't seem to find the information I'm looking for.

There's a ginormous thread here, but you'd be better off starting with insanelymac.com forums. If you ask me, the Asus P5N7A-VM board is about as easy as it gets. You just install from an retail Leopard Installer DVD (10.5.5 to 10.5.7), but you need access to another Mac to build the boot drive with a utility app called Universal Installer.

Edensuko

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
See, I assumed the OP wasn't planning on torrenting, rather building a Mac. That's still violating the EULA which is no different really. You violate the EULA you are in trouble, end of story.

No you dont, if you label your hackintosh with an apple sticker, you wont violate nothing, and he is going to buy a legal copy anyways, and finally, he is not making profit selling those machines.

I would ask, however, what is it that they do at that company?
If is light word processing and such, buy used mac minis. If it is Graphig design a current low end mini with 2 gb of ram will cut it.If you are into CAD or something like that, there is no much more than a high end iMac or a Mac pro...or a Hackintosh.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
No you dont, if you label your hackintosh with an apple sticker, you wont violate nothing, and he is going to buy a legal copy anyways, and finally, he is not making profit selling those machines.

Hmm...

Apple Leopard EULA said:
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so.

Found Here for any further questions.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
I can not imagine you even have to question what to do... either get Macs from Apple or get PCs from Best Buy or where ever. But certainly not put them in a questionable position by using bastardized Macs.

Edensuko

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
Im a proud MAcbook Pro Owner since 2007. I am about to build a PC AND put OSX on it. Why? because I want the best software with the best hardware i can get.

In laptops, Apple has competitive prices, in desktops...they only have the Mac Pro, and thats TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE for my uses, if I got an imac i would have a big (beautiful) laptop on my desk, with the only upgrade path being the RAM and HDD...and if I want the best GPU they have, its at least 2000 bucks. And now they even SOLDERED the CPU in...whatfor? so i cant upgrade it of course, and instead of spending 200-300 dlls on a new proc down the road, ill have to shell ANOTHER 2000 to apple.

Lets be honest here, imacs SHOULD have desktop processors like the g3,g4,and g5 before it. Those where DESKTOP chips, really hot and quite power hungry. Yet they fit in the Lamp and in the "monoblock" imac no problem. Desktop RAM should be in too.I could live with the PSU behind my deskt, no need for it to be built in, it just cuts options.

And yes, the "apple labeled" thing might be pushing it, but in a world with this economy i think is understandable, considering how apple just crippled the entry level imac while lowering the prices of the 24", why? to get you buying the more expensive one >_> and yet many will defend that stance, good for you, i want a desktop computer with desktop components, and the OP wants an affordable solution, which besides the mini (which is overpriced anyways, 1 gig of ram entry model? is this 2007?) a hackintosh is the best option.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What if an Apple update makes it stop working?

You can't update Hackintosh through Apple Software Update, updates have to be downloaded manually from OS X crack sites, which will have custom OS X. Updating Hackintosh is always a big risk and takes quite a lot time

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Hackintoshing for business is bad for a couple of reasons:
A. It's illegal - with businesses that becomes a huge risk because you can lose your entire business because you wanted to save a couple hundred bucks
B. It's not supported - clearly posted above, but when things start to go wrong...yeah
C. It's not the most stable of things, updates work or don't work, but you don't wanna accidentally do one thing that causes a computer that Apple will not help you to fix to go crazy.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
As you are starting up a business I would suggest getting macs instead of going the hackintosh route. Here's why,

As a company you are going to want to make sure that your computers are functioning. With a hackintosh you not only have possible problems with not so compatible hardware but you also loose any warranties you might otherwise have. Having warranties and/or service agreements is whats going to really help the company. The more you can rely on a warranty that comes with the computer the better and more cost efficient in the long run.

Edensuko

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
Why are you getting so upset, he clearly said "you won't violate NOTHING" which we all know, means you will violate something. :D

you get a cookie sir

COOKIE.gif

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I would not risk it if it is meant for a business usage.
Realiability, legality and many other facts would surely stop me from using it for my business. If it was for my own personal use, and personal experiment, then sure... But not for a business.

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
Get a REAL mac. If you can't afford one, buy a PC and live with windows and its headaches.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
You can't update Hackintosh through Apple Software Update, updates have to be downloaded manually from OS X crack sites, which will have custom OS X.

This is no longer true. If you install using Boot 132 or Chameleon and the retail Installer DVD (two copies of which I purchased for my two hacks), you can use the installers from Apple to update your system. Software Update works for any application that isn't an OS update. With the OS updates there is sometimes a need to modify or reinstall other kexts. I'm at 10.5.7 for mine.

Updating Hackintosh is always a big risk and takes quite a lot time

While it is true that hackintoshes have inherent risks, for my uses I needed computers that perform better than the top iMac, but I don't need a Mac Pro. Thus the two hackintoshes (that play nicely with my MacBook Pro, iMac, two Mac minis and my newest addition, a MacBook Air). I buy computers that serve particular purposes and Apple gets the first chance to sell me one. Fortunately, if they don't make the one I need, then I have the skills to assemble my own.

Edensuko

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
This is no longer true. If you install using Boot 132 or Chameleon and the retail Installer DVD (two copies of which I purchased for my two hacks), you can use the installers from Apple to update your system. Software Update works for any application that isn't an OS update. With the OS updates there is sometimes a need to modify or reinstall other kexts. I'm at 10.5.7 for mine.

While it is true that hackintoshes have inherent risks, for my uses I needed computers that perform better than the top iMac, but I don't need a Mac Pro. Thus the two hackintoshes (that play nicely with my MacBook Pro, iMac, two Mac minis and my newest addition, a MacBook Air). I buy computers that serve particular purposes and Apple gets the first chance to sell me one. Fortunately, if they don't make the one I need, then I have the skills to assemble my own.

Ill be sure to turn to you when i build my hackintosh :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.