Need help buying a mac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Garfield, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Garfield macrumors newbie

I've been reading the forums and trying to gather information through the internet but I'm still left puzzled. I'm trying to figure out if an 27" i7 imac or a quad core 2.8 mac pro would suit me better.

I work as a freelance graphic designer and use my computer for work. I own a 15" 2.4 core 2 duo with 4gb ram, and it doesn't cut it anymore for the work I need to be doing. I frequently use photoshop, illustrator, indesign and lightroom. Sometimes I need to have two or more of them running on the same time.

When I have time I do like to play some games on the machine, games like starcraft 2 and diablo 3 when he comes out. So it would be good to have a nice machine that can handle that as well.

I do like the fact that I can upgrade the mac pro in a few years time. And I like the idea of having more than one hard drive, although I don't know if I would gain a lot from it.

I own a 22" Dell IPS monitor which I'm fairly happy with, so I could live without the 27" from the imac if I go with the mac pro.

So the question for you guys is.

1. Is the processor better in the quad mac pro than the imac ?
    2. Is there a huge difference between the graphic cards on the imac and mac pro ? (I would probably take the HD 5870 for the mac pro)
    3. Which one do you think will suit me better ?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Performance wise, no, but it supports ECC although it shouldn't be a big deal for you. The CPU in Mac Pro is upgradable to 6-core down the road though

2. 5870 is about twice as fast, maybe even a bit more. The GPU won't be a huge deal in your work but in gaming it does have a huge effect. Some benches here

3. If you really want/need the upgradeability, the Mac Pro is a better choice. On the other hand, as you said "in few years", you could just sell the iMac then and get a new one. That would likely be faster than fully pumped 2010 SP Mac Pro.

Somehow I think an iMac would be sufficient for you. FireWire 800 is adequate for external storage and high-end iMac runs SC2 just fine. You should really use the upgradeability that Mac Pro offers so it would be worth it. If you don't, then at least I find it a bit useless to pay more for something that you don't use

3. Garfield thread starter macrumors newbie