need help buying a mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jakequain, Jun 5, 2007.

1. jakequain macrumors newbie

ok im trying to decide which mac i should get, money is kind of an issue, but if its worth it i will spend enough for a macbook pro with minimum specs... so heres what im debating between... right now i have an ibook, but i use macbooks and macbook pros every day, just lookin for some outside opinion... but here

should i get...

mac mini... max it out.. 1.83ghz w/ 2gb ram, 100gb hd, older 23" apple display, superdrive... i can get all this for under $1000... do you think the processor speed would be fast enough to run fcp and ae7 and ****?... is there a big difference between 1.83ghz and 2.16??? mac minis are sick because id be able to get the big ass display for editing, and theyre so small and ****.

macbook... 1gb ram, 2.16ghz processor, 120gb hd, 13" lcd... superdrive... $1100... i could always max it out, but it might be a little bit, im trying to save money..

macbook.. 2.0ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd, 13"lcd, combo drive, $800... is this much worse, would it be good for editing in fcp and ****, ive used one with the same specs but not too much so i dont really know... itd just be nice to save money, and its nice to have a laptop, so thats a plus, could always max it out eventually too, when maxed out do u think itd be up to par?

imac.. 17", is there a big diff between 1.83ghz or 2.0ghz??.... 160gb hd, combo drive, $800... imacs are sweet, and u big can max them out to like 3gb ram... more than a reg. macbook, which in the long run i think would be cool... they got the big ol lcd... do you think these would be better for editing/faster than the macbooks, a large noticeable difference? if i should get one, would stepping it up from 1.8 to 2.0ghz be worth it? or is there not a large noticable difference.

macbook pro... 15" lcd, 2.16ghz, 160gb hd, superdrive... 2gb ram...the whole nine yards $1500... im trying to save money, but macbook pros are sooo sick, real clean and fast... big ass lcd, etc.... but im trying to save money, so would any of the above listings compete with this bad boy, speed/editing wise? i will buy a macbook pro if its worth it, u can max out to like 4gb ram and **** which would be insane in the long run

i can also get a macbook pro 15" 1.83ghz, 2gb ram, superdrive, 200gb hard drive.... for $1300... i think i might get this one if there wont be much of a difference between 1.83 and 2.16... lemme know.

lemme know, i mostly posted this as kind of a layout to help me think of what i should get and so other people could give me some opinions/facts to help me... would there be a big noticeable difference between a 1.83ghz processor and a 2.16? i guess thats my main question... i really am trying to spend the least amount of money as possible, while getting the best deal for the money. thanks.

2. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

What do you want to do with your computer, no one will be able to recommend without this? Then get what suits your needs. If you need the latest and greatest go with the MacBook Pro. If want a desktop wait for WWDC maybe an update. If you are trying to save money get a refurb.

3. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

I don't know what acp or ae7 is, but if either of those are graphic-intensive programs, then neither a MacMini nor a Macbook will be adequate. You'll need a computer with a dedicated graphics card, either an iMac or a Macbook Pro.