Need help buying a Macbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shuffles, May 22, 2009.

1. shuffles macrumors 6502

shuffles

I'm buying my girlfriend a Macbook for her bday and i need help as to which one I should get her. I'm getting her The Sims 3 (she's obsessed) so ill need it to be able to plat it perfectly. I was thinking of getting the 1,499 Euros version with 2.4ghz, 250GB hard drive, 2gig ram n with the illuminated keyboard. Is this enough or should I customize it and upgrade to 4gig of Ram? I need The Sims 3 to run perfectly on it so would the extra 2gig of Ram help do that or is the standard config enough?

Thanks,

Shuffles.

These are the System requirements:

Mac

Mac OS X v10.5.7 or later
    Intel Core Duo processor
    2GB of RAM
    6.1GB of free hard-disk space minimum (with at least 1GB of additional space for custom content and saved games)
    128MB of VRAM
    ATI X1600 or Nvidia 7300 GT or Intel Integrated GMA X3100
    DVD drive
    Note: This game will not run on systems using PowerPC processors (G3/G4/G5) or the Intel GMA 950 class of integrated cards

Is the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card enough?

2. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

The 2.0 will run it fine. 4GB of RAM would probably help.

3. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=585364

4 gigs might eliminate a bit of the frame rate stutter, so if you want it to run as smooth as you can, upgrade the ram.

On a side note, that's an awesome present you're getting your girlfriend. Why don't I ever get presents like that ;)

4. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Cool, I think i'll upgrade to the 4gig. She just finished her thesis today and her bday is on the 5th of June...same day Sims comes out over here so I figured she deserves it. Shes just been using crappy windows comps all yr n my Air when she can get her hands on it. Her laptop broke last September, a GIANT Compaq concrete slab of a thing!!

The graphics card in the Macbook is good to go?

5. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

It's an IGPU, meaning it's shared with the main memory. It's worse than comparable Windows Laptop's GPUs. However, if the only thing she wants to do is play the Sims, it's a great graphics solution.

6. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

If the previous 2 games were any indication, you'll need at least a Macbook Pro to run it 'perfectly' at a decent clip with all the details turned on. Those games can be real system hogs. Unless Will Wright & Co. performed some serious optimizations, those system requirements you just listed are likely just what's required to get the game up and running. It won't run well, but it will run.

7. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Yeah she just checks facebook, uploads photos, uses iTunes, Sims, the usual crap. I jst wanna know if I should fork out the extra moula for 4gig of ram. If the sims needs it then I will!!

Bollox!! There's no way I'm getting her a Pro!!

8. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It depends what you mean by 'perfectly'. Not to be obvious, but you could get the top-spec 17'' MBP and you may still run into the occasional problem, even the mighty OS X is not perfect... :eek:

The system req specifically state it will work on the intel X3100 (which is what the 'old' white/black plastic MBs used). So the current MB with 9400 should run Sims 3 with good enough performance (probably even better if you keep the settings away from the 'very high' end of the spectrum!).

Of course the MBP would be better, but the other task you listed (facebook, iTunes, photos...) will be handled by the MB easily. I would say that it is certainly not worth buying the MBP just to be able to play a game slightly better.

2 vs 4 GB RAM? Well that is less easy. I would think that 2GB would be enough for Sims 3 (and plenty for itunes, browsing etc), but the 9400 does steal its memory from the system so 4GB would be better. If you can see the laptop being used for a good few years it may be worth getting 4GB to start with as you may well need it eventually; but if you consider 3rd party (I would, apple RAM is costly!) you could see if the 2GB is enough when Sims 3 is released.

If you have the money go for the 2.4 GHz, this will make it a bit more 'future proof'.

10. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Cheers! I saw the Macbook Pro for 1499, same price as the Macbook I wuz looking at. I doubt she'd need something that powerful. We were looking at them in a reseller (unfortunately there are no Apple stores in Ireland except up north!) and she said that the Pro was too big.

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Dude... you are too nice! I'd get her a spatula instead.

12. Toofan macrumors member

If you can upgrade the RAM for a good price do it for the software support longevity purposes of the laptop itself. If it's solely, because of The Sims 3, then it's overkill.

13. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

That refurb MacBook pro for 1499 is gone from the store. I'm starting to think it might be too much for a bday present. She deserves it after finishing her thesis n the sims is released on her bday but I think everyone will think it's too much so I'm unsure!!! I've preordered the sims collectors edition n she won't have anything to play it on, ha!! Any recommendations?? Shud I do it or not?? Wud u??

14. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Just get her the white book. It's the same machine (basically) and it'll play the Sims 3 no problem.

15. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

+1 for the whitebook. go refurb or student discount

16. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Naw, get her the aluminium, definitely. If you want to get her a spankin' top-notch macbook to prove your affection, none but the expensive aluminum ones will do! ;) Nevermind if or if not the whitebook will play the Sims, it's the thought that counts! :p

Answering the OP's question, yes I'd definitely get her the aluminium macbook. Which version (2.0 or 2.4 Ghz) is up to you, shouldn't see a big difference in performance.

Besides, maybe she'll let you play around with it on occasion, so you'd be doing yourself a favour too ;)

17. ebika macrumors 6502

18. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Yeah, the basic aluminum MacBook cud be a winner plus she wudn't need the illuminated keyboard anyway n it would save me 400 quid too!!

19. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Okay, think I'm gonna do it. I found a refurb Macbook on the store.

Heres the specs n price:

Refurbished MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum
    13.3-inch 1200-by-800 pixel LED-backlit display
    2GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    Illuminated keyboard

€1,254.16
    Save €244.84
    16% off

I was gonna get the 2ghz new version but I thought this was a great deal. Wat u think?

Also, R refurb products in good condition? I don't wanna get this n when it arrives, find that it looks really used!! Will it have all the original packaging and even the plastic that covers the macbook itself and also the plastic that covers the screen. I'm kinda weird like that!!

If so, I think I'll get it tonight cuz her bdays next fri so I'll want to have it before then and also, I dont think this will be in the refurb store for long!!!

20. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

I just googled refurb macbooks n it said that they don't come in the original packaging or even the macbook box!! Only a brown cardboard box. Is this true? Has anyone bought a refurb product? Its a present so It cant look ****!!!!

21. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Okay, I think i've come to the conclusion that refurb products don't come in the original box. I think I'll get the new one....so last question is: Should I get the base model unibody for 1199 and upgrade to 4gb of ram for the sims 3 or get the 2.4ghz 1499 version and leave the ram at 2gb? Whats best??

Sorry for all the posts...its just that today I decided I would get it for her n I have my credit card in my hand right now but need some final answers!!

Cheers for all your help so far!

22. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Just ordered the 2.4ghz, 250gb hard drive, 2gb ram illuminated keyboard.

I'll let You all know how I get on when I give it to her!!

Cheers for all the help!

Shuffles.