Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

49erPress

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I currently use a Powerbook G4 and love it. But, I am about to buy a new Mac laptop. My wife wants to use the Powerbook exclusively so the new Mac will be mine. That said, is there any way to setup a system that allows my wife and I to share our iTunes library and new purchases and our pics in iPhoto so that we can both load and access music and pictures into those programs from separate computers? It seems silly that there isn't some way to make that work. Having to load pictures or buy the same song for each computer is more than redundant, it is expensive. Any ideas?

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm not sure if this will work, because I've never used it, but you might be able to do that with Time Capsule. You could set up the default location for your iTunes library to be on the Time Capsule disk, if it allows access just like a network attached drive.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Time Capsule it's a perfect solution.
You can also do it setting up your local network with all your macs sharing the iTunes Library folder.
Also an Airport Extreme + a HDD will do the job, but some of them have problems mounting the AirDisk.

Just go into iTunes Preferences and define where is your iTunes Library located in each Mac.
________
cannabis news

Last edited:

BioChron

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Alaska
Time Capsule seems like the best solution. If you don't want to do that, an alternative is to connect the computers via Firewire and transfer copies onto the other computer. Though that is a bit cumbersome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.