Need help buying a new wireless router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by santaji, Jul 29, 2012.

1. santaji macrumors member

santaji

I'm currently using a cheap Linksys WRH54G that was provided by my ISP.
    I want to upgrade to a better router, since i get significantly slower speeds on the iMac in my bedroom through WiFi; then on the PC in the living room which is connected through ethernet.

I can get decent speeds on WiFi on my iPad or laptop when in the same room as the router, but the connection slows down considerably when i move further away from it.

The connection also slows down considerably when any computer is downloading a large file, streaming videos or music. Torrents are also considerably slower through WiFi.

I've been doing some research on routers the last few days, but can't figure which one to get. There seem to be so many different models, i can't decide which is best, or what i need in a router.

So apparently i should get a Wireless-N (whatever that means) router for better performance (current one is Wireless-G). But there are so many other specifications that i'm not sure about, such as dual vs. single-band routers, do i need a dual-band or will a single-band do?

This Linksys seems to have a decent review and the price seems ok: http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/linksys-e1500-wireless-n/4505-3319_7-34565180.html
    Would this be a good buy?

Should i consider an Apple AirPort express, since i have an iMac, a MacBook, and an iPad? Or are they overpriced?

I'm looking for something below $100, please recommend what you think will be a good buy in this budget!

2. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I would get the gaming router from d-link. It's been rock solid for me for years, never needing a reboot.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I have a Netgear WNDR-3700 (N600) and have been very happy with the performance of it. It's wireless-N capable and has GBe for the wired connections.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

N wifi would definitely be good, as would something that uses both 2.4 and 5 ghz. The former is subject to more interference from other devices, while the latter is somewhat more limited in range. Theoretically. It all depends on what might be influencing your local wifi coverage. So more options is better.

I would say for <$100 you are better off with non-Apple stuff. I actually find the routers you can configure from a browser easier to use; Apple has some non-standard ways of doing things that I, at least, find annoying.

Check over on smallnetbuilder; they often have some good buying guides.

5. chrisvee macrumors regular

I've heard some decent things about Apple's newest AirPort Express. It's cheap, and I hear it's a breeze to set up. Plus, it looks nice..

Buuuuuut, you could probably find some good deals with other routers. NETGEAR's WNDR-3700 seems to be a hit around the interwebs. The router is getting a tad dated at this time, but it's still a great router. Dual-band, N-wireless, etc.