Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I've been an Apple user since 2006 when I bought my MacBook CD. I love it. But I want to upgrade to Lion and need a C2D.

While I'd love to buy a brand new one, I'd rather save my money and get an older one. With all the different models, I really don't know what to look for, or which ones to stay away from.

I just upgraded to a 750GB HDD and I have 2GB of RAM, although I'm not sure I'll be able to swap the RAM into the new one. I would probably like to have at least 4GB. Also, a black MacBook would be nice, but not necessary.

If this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
It is possible to enable Lion to run on an older Core Duo MacBook, so hopefully this 'hack' will be doable with the final release of Lion.

That aside, I am running a Mid 2009 MacBook and I love this machine. I wont be upgrading for a while yet. Personally if you where to go for an older model, I say look for something thats packing the nVidia graphics chip.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I am huge into collecting older Apple hardware, and have versions of OS X running on non supported equipment all over my house (all Apple Hardware mind you). That being said, I would never recommend running a hacked, or patched copy of an Apple OS as your primary computer. There are all kinds of Curveballs that you will encounter.

Unless you enjoy the process of troubleshooting those hurdles I would not recommend patching a copy of Lion to run on older hardware as a primary box.

More on topic, I have an Early release MBP With Nvidia chipset, and graphics. I haven't had any problems with it, and it has proven to be a potent enough system even for my needs today. You can get older white Macbook Core 2 systems, however they are starting to show their age a little, unless they are well cared for examples.

Good luck, and have fun shopping! I love pricing out old Mac hardware. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.