Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonBorichef

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Roseville, CA
Hey MacRumors Community,

I need some help choosing out a reliable external HD. I want it to be 1TB, FireWire 400 and USB, but other than that anything.

Does anybody have suggestion on the best place to buy one? I don't want to get one online because I did once and it crashed with all my data on it.

Cheers,
Jonathan Borichef

JonBorichef

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Roseville, CA
It didn't crash because you bought it online.

Bottom line is that every platter-based hard drive is going to fail at some point. The only thing you can do is buy drives with 5-year warranties and keep multiple backups. No brand is really better than any other.

I know that :rolleyes: but I want a more trusted brand like WD, or well, I don't know.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Does anybody have suggestion on the best place to buy one? I don't want to get one online because I did once and it crashed with all my data on it."

That doesn't make any sense. The majority (perhaps overwhelming majority) of hard drives bought by end-users are "bought online" these days, I'd think.

EVERY hard drive will die, someday. The only variable is when that's going to happen.

When folks ask "which hard drive should I buy?", my response is:
Don't buy ANY hard drive that's already assembled. Buy an enclosure and a "bare" hard drive, and assemble it yourself.

"But I don't know anything _about_ hard drives," you'll reply.

All you need is a screwdriver. The rest is pretty easy.

If you take just a few minutes to assemble the drive yourself, you'll gain a LOT of confidence about how the thing works. And if you ever have any problems, you won't be afraid to open it, because you put it together in the first place.

I'd recommend either a good external enclosure (Other World Computing has good ones), or you might even consider getting a "SATA docking station". These come in all varieties, although most are USB2 based. You can see what they're like here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0

OWC also has one with both USB2 _and_ Firewire 800.

Once you have a SATA dock, just buy one (or more) "bare" hard drives. Newegg.com is a very good source.

Docking stations are great for backups, because you can now buy a second hard drive, and "rotate" your backups for extra protection. You can keep one of the drives "offsite" to insure against fire, theft, etc.

And if a drive fails, just put another one in, and keep right on going.
If the docking station develops a problem, just swap it for a good docking station and again, keep right on going.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Hey MacRumors Community, I need some help choosing out a reliable external HD. I want it to be 1TB, FireWire 400 and USB, but other than that anything. Does anybody have suggestion on the best place to buy one? I don't want to get one online because I did once and it crashed with all my data on it.

Cheers,
Jonathan Borichef

Grab one of these - has everything you require - http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=409

Snowbound

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
I throw in another 2 cents for the WD Studio drive. The FW 400 and 800 are great and I've had good luck with mine.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro

main_otg_pic2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.