Need help Buying Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i-sidd, Sep 12, 2008.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I am planning to buy an Iphone but, I have a few question and whether those could be addressed or not.

I already have Verizon but I woun't be giving up my verizon number as I need that number. So I plan to use the Iphone as a backup phone. Can I use prepaid cards so that I am not stuck with the 2 year ATT contract. Also can I use it in other parts of the world just by slipping in a new SIM card from that country. So is this possible at all. Can I get a unlocked iphone or can I unlock an Iphone.

Thanks for you help.

2. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

You can buy the iPhone, and then cancel your contract...but you'll end up paying $850ish? Then you can use a prepaid card, but I don't think you'll have data, so if you browse the internet AT ALL it will cost you TONS.

You can't buy unlocked iPhones, there is apparently one method to unlock it where you buy a sim card for like $80 and you slot it in and it unlocks it...but I'm unsure how successful that is...especially with the 2.1 software.

3. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, as you stated there is no way of getting an unlocked Iphone.
    I read somewhere there the iphone 3g will be sold unlock in some countries, but I am not sure about this. If this is true, then can I buy the Iphone 3g from some other country and use it in the US without contract.

thanks

4. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

If you are only going to use it with AT&T you can just buy one and cancel the contract and use a prepaid sim. Going to other countries and using their sim cards won't work though.

5. ScubaDuc macrumors 6502

ScubaDuc

I suppose you can buy it here in Belgium from Mobistar at Euro 525...:rolleyes

Unlocked and unsubidized :rolleyes: