need help buying macbook~!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jchoi620, Jul 16, 2012.

1. jchoi620 macrumors newbie

hello! new here and I have a question.

I was pretty set on buying the new macbook pro 13in (2.9 i7) and just checked craigslist to see if there were any good deals before buying it and i stumbled upon this

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/sys/3142154337.html

good deal? or should i just get the 13 inch macbook?

mind you im a post graduate and i probably wont be using the macbook for more than your usual music/movies/games/etc. and MAYBE video editing

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

That sounds like a good deal. His photos are of Snow Leopard but his listing claims to have Mountain Lion installed. If he has the Mountain Lion Golden Master installed, it might expire on you. You really need Lion or Snow Leopard on a new machine and not some developer preview OS. If you decide to buy, have him revert to Lion before he ships. 20 bucks for your own copy of ML is not too much to pay.

As for the machine itself, his price seems a bit on the low side so be careful. Make sure he doesn't ask you to wire money or meet him at 3am down by the railroad tracks and come alone. :eek: I checked "completed listings" on ebay for 15 in macbook pro 2011 and found that his price is on the low middle end for this machine but common sense precautions still apply.

BTW, the 13 in Macbook might work out to be a better deal if you want a more portable machine or you want a brand new machine with brand new Applecare.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Be careful buying products with no warranty and no option of extending the warranty.

4. jchoi620 thread starter macrumors newbie

how would this machine compare to the new 13 inch macbook pro in terms of performance? im not too tech savvy so im not sure. if it's similar in performance then im willing to sacrifice the size for less $$ :D