Need help buying new laptop...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chriscrk, Apr 15, 2015.

1. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Because of the career I'm studying, unfortunately I have to give up my Mac and buy a PC.
    I've settled on HP laptops, specifically the ENVY 15 inch models.

However, the websites and model names are pretty confusing, and I have no idea which is the most recent model out there, and I'd obviously like to get the newest model out there.

Can anyone help me find out which is the newest one out there?
    Thanks!

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    What are you looking for, and how much do you want to spend?

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What career requires a PC? More importantly, what career requires a PC to the point where a Mac + BootCamp/Parallels/VMWare isn't an option?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Just install

Windows on your mac and have the best of both worlds. Especially at the cheap prices students can get windows software..

5. chriscrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Architecture.
    There are some architecture programmes for Mac, but not all of them (and not the one's I want to try out).

I'd have to use a Mac + BootCamp (because parallels doesn't give its full potential), and that's a bit tedious having to turn the computer on and off again.

----------

Looking at HP Envy models; don't live in the US, but I'm willing to spend the equivalent of 1467 dollars in my currency.

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Why can't you just run windows on the mac all the time ? What's with this "switching off and on again" ?

If you do insist on using non apple hardware,you are posting in the wrong forum. This is the "apple hardware" forum for which the obvious answer is,stick with what you have and spend about 10% of what you were planning.

7. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

If you're really into buying a PC, look into buying it through your college's technology store. At my college, we have some decent deals on laptops, plus we can elect to buy accidental damage coverage for 4 years.

8. kevinjohnson20 macrumors newbie

It's upon your budget and your desire of computer as per your work's convenience. If you be specific on it so I can suggest you exact one for you.

9. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

why not just run windows all the time then??? and how is it tedious my mac shutdown in 5 seconds turns on in 10 seconds if not less doesn’t seem like a big deal to me

10. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

I don't know if I would buy an HP. At least not a consumer level HP.
    $1500 gets you a pretty nice laptop in Windows world.
    I would look at Dell XPS and Latitude lines and Lenovo Thinkpads.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I agree

until I turn on windows and it spends 20 minutes updating endless nonsense....