Need Help - "Cable or Accessory is not certified..."

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by dannyTO, Dec 27, 2014.

1. dannyTO macrumors regular

dannyTO

Hey guys,

I started receiving message pop ups on my phone today stating "This cable or accesory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone"

This message pops up when Im not plugged in. All my cables are from Apple so I'm not sure what's going on. I've tried restarting my phone and nothing works

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This happens when there is nothing connected to your device? It may have a dirty or malfunctioning dock port.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you get that hardware message, even with no cables or other hardware attached, try a full restore.

If that doesn't help, your iPhone has 12 months warranty.

(I like Intell's answer, too!)

4. dannyTO thread starter macrumors regular

dannyTO

Did a full restore and the issue has been resolved. Thanks

5. dannyTO thread starter macrumors regular

dannyTO

6. friednoodles macrumors regular

This can happen if the contacts inside the connection port on your device are dirty or there's dust or grime inside the port. The device then thinks that it has a cable plugged in, even though it doesn't, so it says the connected cable/accessory isn't recognised/certified.

Have a look in the port to see if it needs cleaning out. If it looks completely clean it might be a sign that there's a hardware fault with the port. Having Apple examine it might be the best option at that point.

7. dannyTO thread starter macrumors regular

dannyTO

I have an appointment at the Genius Bar in a few hours. Hopefully I can get a replacement phone