Need help canceling bootcamp on MBP. Please Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Miamifan1354, May 12, 2009.

1. Miamifan1354 macrumors member

Not sure if this is going in the right place, but here's what's going on.

I have a MBP and I was trying to install Windows 7 RC1 using bootcamp. Figured out I shouldn't be using the 64bit version, and now I can't use the keyboard on the MBP. It either tells me the disk isn't found or that I need to select the boot type. Either way, I can't use the keyboard, and I need to know how to cancel the bootcamp install. All I want to do now is get my computer back, but all I have is an old windows type install every time I restart.

Thanks in advance.

2. dimme macrumors 65816

Try restarting with your OSX disk in the DVD. When it boots up select quit. It should prompt you to select a startup disl chose you HD and it should work.

3. Miamifan1354 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I figured out that all I need to do is hold down the option key and it will let me choose to load back into OSX. Great. Got in, and removed the partition, and then restarted.

Now, it's trying to install still windows. There is no partition, and I have removed the windows install disk, but it still tries to install. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the whole install process.

Here's what happens. I restart, the gray screen shows up, then it goes black and says that it can't find the install disk, and none of the keys work again. At that point, I have to restart and hold down the option key and choose the Mac HD, but that's the only thing to choose.

I just want to have it back the way it was. I know I could just go back in time so to speak, but I feel like that's a little illogical at this point. There should be a way to cancel a boot camp install and not have to now select the only available volume to boot from.

4. Miamifan1354 thread starter macrumors member

And I'm set.

System preferences, startup disk, mac osx.

Had nothing to do with bootcamp, I guess. It's working how I want, but I can't help but think that some where, something is waiting a windows install disc.

5. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

What problems are you having with the 64 bit version that caused you to not install?

I just installed it myself a few days ago and it works flawlessly. Hot, but thats normal with friggin bootcamp.

6. Miamifan1354 thread starter macrumors member

When I tried to install, the keyboard wouldn't respond and it was asking me something about disk type. Read that it has something to do with the 64 bit version.

7. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

The 64 bit problem is due to microsoft building something into the install dvd that confuses the EFI that is built into Macs. I was able to solve the problem by following the guide posted here.

Don't let the length put you off, it's actually much simpler than it looks. Plus once you get it working in 64bit mode, the benefits are worth it. Being able to address memory twice as fast really makes for a snappy windows experience.