Need Help - Cannot delete file or folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Osteonis, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Osteonis macrumors newbie

Hi, I had an image saved to my desktop, so in order to clean things up I created a new folder on my desktop and copied the image to that folder, however when I went to delete the image it asked for my password which I provided, I got the audio notification that it was deleted but the file remained on my desktop. I then tried to delete the folder and received the same password prompt, then the audio trash notification but the folder remained. How do I delete these? I have tried the commands provided on this forum in terminal and still no luck. Neither file nor folder is locked so I am really confused. Please help me, this is minor but very annoying.
    Thanks in advance.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Have you tried restarting the computer? I had a file that wouldn't delete and after rebooting it deleted just fine.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Always a good first step to fix most things wrong.

4. Osteonis thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah the folder and file have been on the desktop for several days now, and the computer has been restarted several times during this period. Still no luck.
    The other odd thing is that the folder is sitting right in the middle of my screen on my desktop and I cannot even move it off to the side. I'm really stumped on this. Looks like I might have to be putting a call in to Apple for some support.
    :(

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Try running Repair Permissions from Disk Utility.